The Romantic Piano Concerto Vol.58 - Pixis, Thalberg and (later) Bronsart

Started by jameswesthead, Monday 20 February 2012, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

JimL

Quote from: Ilja on Thursday 01 March 2012, 07:24
Jim, I don't think Hans was from the same family as Paul and Walther, maybe they were cousins but not brothers. I'm going to check to back it up, but Paul Bronsart von Schellendorf was a very well-known figure who even made it to Prussian Minister of War (an unlucky appointment, by the way). Everything I've read about him doesn't even mention Hans. They came from a Dantzig family, whereas Hans was born in Berlin. Finally, I find it unlikely that in a military family the eldest son would have been allowed to become a composer (Hans was born 1830, Paul 1832). But let me check.
It says in Hans' Wiki he came from a military family.  How many military Bronsart von Schellendorfs could there be.  Also, he was born in different years from both Walther and Paul.  I'm not saying that is proof, or even evidence, but it does indicate that he was not born concurrently with either of the other two, making a case for him being a brother in that family plausible.

P.S. I see nothing about Hans being born in Berlin.  Educated at Berlin University, yes, born there, no.  He could have been born in Danzig, for all I can tell.

Ilja

Paul Bronsart von Schellendorff is listed by Stamm-Kuhlmann as the oldest of four, which pretty much scuttles the idea of him being a brother of Hans (who was two years older). By the way, the German Wikipedia lists Berlin as Hans' birthplace, so I'll go with that.

And yes, there might've been a LOT of Bronsart von Schellendorffs, if there were even half as many as the Gneisenaus or the Bülows.

JimL

Cousins then.  I guess Heinrich's brothers were also in the military, since it says Hans came from "a military family". 

Alan Howe

Let's cut the guessing game and concentrate on the facts, please - if they're available. Otherwise, back to the music...

FBerwald

"Not as bad as Street, but not far off.

Thal"

Sorry to ask this but who is this Street.... and why is he(?) so bad?  ;D

giles.enders

Joseph Street, go to 'search' on this sight and you will see some postings.