The Romantic Piano Concerto vol 57

Started by Lionel Harrsion, Thursday 23 February 2012, 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Harrsion

The Wiklund CD has now appeared on Hyperion's website http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67828&vw=dc Lovely stuff played by the excellent Martin Sturfält.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, Martin is really good. I gave him a concert at the Theatre Royal, Portsmouth, when he was a student at The Guildhall in London. He was terrific.

edurban

These are such appealing pieces, particularly the E minor, which is irresistably tuneful.  The late 80s Caprice issue with Greta Erikson and different accompanying forces in each concerto is very fine, but Hyperion has a Konzertstuck in place of the tone poem Summer Night and Sunrise so I guess I have to have both...

David

Syrelius

Quote from: edurban on Friday 24 February 2012, 03:24
These are such appealing pieces, particularly the E minor, which is irresistably tuneful.  The late 80s Caprice issue with Greta Erikson and different accompanying forces in each concerto is very fine, but Hyperion has a Konzertstuck in place of the tone poem Summer Night and Sunrise so I guess I have to have both...

David

The Concert piece har recently been released on Sterling together with pieces for piano and orchestra by Ludvig Norman and Ture Rangström.

JimL

Glad I held off on the Sterling.  I'd rather have the concertos.

Alan Howe

I have the (excellent) Caprice version of the two concertos which still seems to be available...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_7?url=search-alias%3Dclassical&field-keywords=wiklund&sprefix=wiklund%2Caps%2C550
Any reason why I should invest in the Hyperion too..?

JimL

Not if you already have all of them.  I'd rather have them all on one disc, myself.

thalbergmad

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 28 February 2012, 22:36

If you have bought the previous 56, you will have an irritating gap on your shelf.

Thal

Alan Howe

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 28 February 2012, 23:11
Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 28 February 2012, 22:36

If you have bought the previous 56, you will have an irritating gap on your shelf.

Thal

Yes, hmmmmmmm. Well, I haven't.......
Sensibly , I believe, I've passed on volumes which either duplicate or don't measure up to other versions...

Peter1953

The Wiklund PCs on the Caprice label are recorded in 1981 in AAD quality. Could that make a difference? However, I usually cannot hear any difference between AAD, ADD or DDD. Must be my age.

Alan Howe

Very possibly, Peter. But, unless the older recording is poor (and here it isn't), that wouldn't sway me either.

Martin Eastick

Although slightly off-topic - one of my great disappointments is that the original Caprice recording of the 2nd concerto was coupled with "3 Pieces for harp & string orchestra" (and another shorter orchestral piece the title of which escapes me & I don't have the LP to hand at the moment!)- which, to my knowledge, have never reappeared on CD. I have to say that I enjoyed these even more than the concerto & a reissue would be most welcome!

M. Henriksen

Martin, the short orchestral piece is Sång til våren (Spring song) from Liten Svit (Little Suite)
composed in the late 1920's.

Morten

jerfilm

Kudos and many, many thanks to Hyperion for offering the individual works for download.  Not only here but in the Vieuxtemps discs, MacKenzie, etc.   As a collector who has little interest in accumulating multiple recordings of a given work, I am especially grateful to Hyperion for giving us the opportunity to pick and choose.......

Jerry

TerraEpon

You horrible horrible person you for not wanting the "album"!