Overview of Röntgen’s Symphonies

Started by Peter1953, Monday 27 February 2012, 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

This is extremely exciting news!

Yes, the Edinburgh Symphony was presented by Röntgen with a few humorous words what he called his "degree exercise" – a bulky manuscript, upon which he had been incomfortably perched for more than one hour. It was dedicated to the Reid Orchestra and entitled Edinburgh Symphony. (source: Dr Jurjen Vis, Gaudeamus, p.419). That was during lunch at the main building of the university on Thursday 27 March 1930.
On 4 December 1930 the Edinburgh Symphony had its premiere in the Usher Hall. Tovey wrote in program notes words like "well defined themes", "clear and connected musical thinking" and "orchestral treatment always fine". (same source)

I'll try to get in contact with cpo.

FBerwald

Does anyone have the Röntgen - Complete list of compositions which was available on the Donemus' site many years ago. I would be really grateful as I kind of misplaced my .pdf-file and can't find it....

Mark Thomas

I was sure that I had it, but seem to have mislaid my copy too. However, you can rebuild it for yourself from the lists available at the Julius Röntgen website here.

Alan Howe

FBerwald