News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Johann Peter Pixis

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 03 May 2009, 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Today I have listened after so many years to the Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Orchestra in F sharp minor, coupled on a LP (label Turnabout of course) with Moscheles' Grande Sonate Symphonique for four-hand piano arrangement. The Pixis' concerto is a real gem and the 2nd movement, an adagio sostenuto, features, as the violist Kees Kooper says, "one of the most beautiful melodies one can ever hope to hear". I fully agree. It is a very intense, heavenly theme. Has any member ever heard this marvellous concerto?

Music of Pixis on a CD seems to be very rare. The only piece I have is the "Fantasie dramatique pour le piano à quatre-mains sur des motifs des Hugenots" (from Meyerbeer) played by the Duo Alkan (Alberto Baldrighi and Anne Colette Ricciardi).

orff

Have heard nothing of the music of Pixis and, from your commentary, am regretting it.  As stated, there appears to be hardly anything recorded on CD.  The Pixis Concerto must be found on disc - the search begins!!!

Alan Howe

I believe that Hyperion may be going to bring out Pixis' PC, coupled with the later PC by Jacob Rosenhain.

Hovite

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 03 May 2009, 21:23
Today I have listened after so many years to the Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Orchestra in F sharp minor, coupled on a LP (label Turnabout of course) with Moscheles' Grande Sonate Symphonique for four-hand piano arrangement. The Pixis' concerto is a real gem and the 2nd movement, an adagio sostenuto, features, as the violist Kees Kooper says, "one of the most beautiful melodies one can ever hope to hear". I fully agree. It is a very intense, heavenly theme. Has any member ever heard this marvellous concerto?

Yes, I have heard it, but I discarded all my LPs a decade or so ago, during a house move.

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 03 May 2009, 21:23Music of Pixis on a CD seems to be very rare.

The only Pixis that I have on CD is the collaborative Hexaméron, by Liszt, Thalberg, Pixis, Herz, Czerny, and Chopin, which is a set of variations on a theme by Bellini. The piano version is on Liszt: The Complete Music for Solo Piano volume 10, CDA66433, and there is also a concertante arrangement, partly reconstructed by the pianist Leslie Howard, on Liszt: Music for Piano Orchestra volume 1, CDA67401/2.

Gareth Vaughan

After I directed Mike Spring to the Full Score of Pixis' PC, Op. 100 in the library of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna, he became keen to record it and the original coupling was to have been with the Rosenhain. However, since he discovered the score of Pixis' Concertino for piano & orchestra in the Sibley Library in America, he is now thinking about an all Pixis disk which would have to include the splendid double concerto for violin and piano. The problem is that Kees Kooper has the score and parts and declines to reply to any emails about the work. I think he wants the Vox/Turnabout recording he made with his wife, Mary Louise Boehm, to be re-released before he'll condone another recording. All a bit frustrating.

JimL

The orchestra in the double concerto is just strings?  Bummer! :(

Mark Thomas

Maybe, just maybe, it's fairer to criticise after you've heard the work?

Gareth Vaughan

The double concerto is a minor masterpiece. The first two movts. are superb - arresting, exciting, lyrical... everything one looks for in a concerto; the finale not quite in the same league perhaps, but the whole work a joy from beginning to end.

Mark Thomas

I do agree on all counts: first two movements are great stuff, the finale on a rather lower plane, but I'm pleased to have the work and play it often.

Peter1953

Wouldn't that be a music lovers dream coming true? A disk with Pixis' 3 concertos? Booklet notes written by Kees Kooper?
His notes on the LP sleeve are interesting enough. Pixis must have been a formidable pianist and composer. A nice anecdote is recorded by Kees Kooper: "Schumann expressed great admiration. So did Franz Liszt, in a rather unorthodox way. In 1837, in Paris, he presented in concert, two trios, by Beethoven and Pixis. Without announcement he played the trios in reverse order. The public hailed the Pixis, thought to be Beethoven, as a masterwork; the real Beethoven came in second best."

joachim

I downloaded this concerto for piano and violon in f

You are reason : this concerto est beautiful.

There is an opus number in the Pixis catalogue ?

kolaboy

I've really loved this piece since I heard it back in the 80s. A Pixis disc is long overdue.

eschiss1

Hrm. Is it in F minor, F major or D minor? If the latter (actually, if any of them, since I'm not certain of the quintet's key and mode) it could possibly be an arrangement for violin, piano and strings of a piano quintet with bass published by Haslinger around 1829, Pixis' opus 99. But I don't know- this is a random guess on my part... haven't seen opus 99 yet and need to hear the concerto (which I will soon.)

JimL

Eric, it's the concerto in F# minor in our downloads.  I don't think it has an opus number, as the manuscript is in the possession of the family of one of the performers, who has passed on.  I think all that is in this thread.

eschiss1

ah, thanks. though it could still be the manuscript of a published work, it's not one I've seen mentioned- I think. Maybe an early one if so...
(Pixis I know of primarily as the object - or rather subject - of a practical joke in which Liszt and Chopin played trios by Pixis and Beethoven, switching the names. The audience was the object, as they were much more impressed by the Pixis on the basis of name, I gather.)

I should note that JP Pixis' older (but apparently much less prolific) brother (by two years), Friedrich Wilhelm Pixis, did compose a violin concertino (very probably -not- this work, of course, which is most likely by JP Pixis as stated, but still... just thinking aloud), published by Haslinger as his opus 1 in 1829. (And should note too that I hope the manuscript in their possession says something more than just "Pixis" or something hard to read, for instance... as seems to be the case with any number of manuscripts.)  (Vaguely reminded that a bassoon work in manuscript (most likely) by bassoonist Gotthelf Heinrich Kummer (signed as G.H. Kummer) was uploaded to IMSLP and misidentified as a work by Gaspar/Caspar Kummer (whose full name was Johann Caspar Kummer, or J.C. Kummer) but that at least was more easily fixed... )

Slight correction - FW Pixis' violin concerto (or at least one of them) in A minor (definitely a different piece then) dates from around 1817 (performed in a concert of both brothers' works), and he did compose a violin concertino around 1827 (performed then) - these dates from performance accounts in AMZ and the Harmonicon respectively. (Oh, the op.1 is the concertino of ca.1827.)

There's a number of works by JP Pixis for piano and violin that were published, I just wonder if the concerto relates to any of them (maybe if it might even be an orchestration and extension (into concerto format) by the composer of one of them- perfectly consistent with its being an unpublished manuscript, the orchestration that is.) Hrm. Well... *ponder ponder...*

(IMSLP does seem to have the solo and orchestral parts of JP Pixis' piano concertino opus 68, that said.)