News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Johann Peter Pixis

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 03 May 2009, 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Re: Pixis' trios: me too (not that it matters worth beans but I wonder which Pixis trio Liszt tried to - did- use to play his joke anyway- the story always has it as though the difference between the work and the Beethoven should have been most obvious to the audience, but hindsight isn't quite the word I want for such a blinkered view of .. erm, right. Anyhow, again, yes, I agree...)

edurban

I have to admit that I've wondered myself if the piece was some sort of arrangement (not a Kees/MLB composition, I'm unaware that they did any composing other than a little piano waltz by MLB.)  Kees has always acted a bit peculiar when the subject of the piece was brought up, as Gareth has mentioned.  Maybe the couple's 'personal' connection with the piece explains why the slow movement was played at MLB's memorial service.  At any rate, both players had very flexible, one might say typically 19th century, ideas about arrangements and would have had no qualms about this little deception.  I'll ask Kees directly next time I see him.

Btw, Kees does not have Alzheimer's, but it seems a series of ministrokes in the last couple of years have played havoc with his memory and general health.  He has not changed residences (I saw him last Sunday) but still lives in the same Riverside Drive apartment the couple have had since the Dawn of Time, though he did sell their house in Majorca after MLB's death 10 years ago.

Many thanks to Robin.  Finding the original Trio was an excellent reward for such diligent sleuthing!

David

JimL

That could explain some rather unusual things about the structure and relationship between soloists and tutti that were nagging me.  I'd have to hear the Op. 100 Concerto, but it seemed odd to me that the solo violin would be silent for so much of the exposition of the first subject.  Now, if a lot of the violin part of the trio was transferred to the orchestra, that makes a bit more sense.  I would also have to see if Pixis used a fused exposition or opening tutti/solo exposition in his concertos, but for that, as I said I need to hear the concerto.

eschiss1

Since Johann Pixis' brother was a violinist, I wonder if he and Johann played with a cellist in some of those trios (and - without one - in Johann's early F major violin sonata op.14?)

Peter1953

herrarte

I remember this one being here to download. Is it permitted for me to post it for everyone to download? My version is 320bps, taken from the original Turnabout lp.

Alan Howe

The answer, I am afraid, is a firm 'no'. Our policy is set out in the Downloads board itself:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3679.0.html

herrarte

Alan Howe

macolgan

Hi .. first time here, and found the forum by way of searching for any information on j p Pixis .

Have followed this thread with interest, and wondered if anyone knows where I could purchase the composers works on vinyl ?

I prefer to listen via vinyl, and have done a bit of searching today , but cannot find anything on this media.

Any information or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards... mac.

semloh

Welcome to UC, Mac!

Everyone will have their preferences re finding LPs, but I often use discogs.com ... which enables you to search for whichever format you prefer. It lists old LPs and sometimes links to sales outlets. A couple of LPs featuring Pixis are currently listed ... but I don't think any for sale:
http://www.discogs.com/search/?q=pixis&type=all

There's also searchable and downloadable databases of classical LPs at:
http://www.classicrecords.co.uk/index.html
... but there's nothing listed for Pixis.

promusician

Any news about the long lost Double Concerto by Pixis? It seems that Kees Kooper has passed away this april and the mystery will continue to be unsolved.

eschiss1

I thought it was solved - that it's an arrangement of a piano trio. (http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,25.msg37853.html#msg37853, earlier in this same thread.) - hrm. the arrangement might have been by Pixis himself, though, it's true. You're right, some mystery remains. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Gareth Vaughan

Robin, have you made any progress with your reconstruction of the Pixis "double concerto", after your excellent piece of research?

Gene in L.A.

discogs.com says the Turnabout Pixis/Moscheles disc was released in 1976. This was in fact a rerelease of an older Turnabout disc featuring the Pixis and the Dohnanyi Suite in F# played by the Seattle Symphony conducted by Milton Katims. The Dohnanyi was later transferred to CD paired with the Dohnanyi Variations on a Nursery Tune. It was the Dohnanyi Suite I purchased that led to my discovery of the Pixis Concerto. I too have been looking for it ever since.