News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eggert in Gavle

Started by Hofrat, Wednesday 18 November 2009, 14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofrat

If any of the Unsung Forum members in Gavle, Sweden on 20 November, be sure to get concert tickets.  That evening the Gavle Orchestra performs:

Joachim Eggert's Eb major symphony
Saint-Saen's 3rd violin concerto in B minor
Schuman's 3rd symphony in Eb major "Rhenish"

Poor health prevents me from going.   

Alan Howe

I'm sorry you cannot go, Avishai. May I assume that the Naxos recording will result from the concert?

Hofrat

It is my understanding that in the coming weeks the Gavle Orchestra will record Eggert's C-major and Eb-major symphonies on the Naxos label.  Release and distribution in 2010.  I will up-date this forum as I soon as I am informed.

TerraEpon

The Eb one is the one with the trombones, yes?

Peter1953

I'm looking forward to the release of the Eggert CD by Naxos, because after reading so much about Eggert, my curiosity has grown and grown, although my favourite era (in general) is between 1835 and 1900.
I hope the Naxos booklet notes (www.classical-composers.org/comp/eggert) can be yours Avishai, for it's very interesting and informative!

Hofrat

Yes, Eggert's Eb symphony is scored with three trombones.  It premiered on 14 May 1807 in Stockholm.  Beethoven has been accredited to be the first to have scored trombones in a symphony, but Eggert clearly preceded him by 18 months. 

Hofrat

Dear Peter1953;

I would be most honored if Naxos would use my article on Eggert in the CD notes.  Moreover, I hope that Naxos will remember to accredit me as being one of the editors who prepared the score and parts for the recording.