News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hubert Parry

Started by albion, Sunday 02 January 2011, 21:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Thank you, John. I've just ordered the set. Yesterday I've listened to all audio samples and I got enthusiastic. I think the 5th must be a real gem, but the other four sound promising as well. Yes, the slow movements, in fact of all symphonies, are just wonderful.
There is also a Chandos disc featuring orchestral works (including again the Symphonic Variations). Perhaps another must-buy? And what about the Piano Trios 2&3 on Meridian?

albion

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 27 November 2011, 08:29There is also a Chandos disc featuring orchestral works (including again the Symphonic Variations). Perhaps another must-buy?

This compilation has been issued twice. Only the second (on Chandos Collect) is still 'in print', but it is inexpensive and worth acquiring -

Both the Meridian discs are worth having -

and I would also recommend

Radegund Records (RR CD018-01)

which duplicates Hyperion's Fantasie Sonata in B minor (1878) and Violin Sonata in D (1889) but also includes the only recording of the Violin Sonata in D minor (1875).

One of the strongest chamber works is the String Quintet in E flat (1884, rev. 1896 and 1902), which has not been commercially recorded - but there is an excellent broadcast performance in BMB.

:)

Peter1953

Many thanks for your detailed response, John. I'm sure Santa Claus will have no trouble finding a gift.

Peter1953

Am I exaggerating when I think that Parry's symphonies, in fact all five, but especially the Nos. 4&5, belong to the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful of all British symphonies? I was so enthusiastic about most of Stanford's symphonies, but Parry's symphonies have completely blown me away. What an utterly delight listening to them. Overwhelming melodies, strong developments, heartfelt depth (how about the slow movement of the Cambridge?), what a grandeur. Those members who are not familiar yet with these marvelous Romantic works, ask Santa Claus for the Chandos set.

albion

Quote from: Peter1953 on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 21:23the slow movement of the Cambridge

This movement (Symphony No.2) is one of the glories of Parry's entire catalogue: a tremendous achievement. It is given a close run by the slow movements of both the first and the fifth.

I'm really glad that you have found so much to admire in the symphonies. Neither Parry nor Stanford (nor Mackenzie, for that matter) was the dusty academician that 'history' and G.B. Shaw would have us believe - all were real creative artists. Parry undoubtedly struggled with his ideas more than did Stanford and I think that the results show this - Stanford's music has an urbane fluency and, generally speaking, is more beautifully presented whilst Parry, superficially less immediately ingratiating, achieves a greater depth of feeling and argues more closely. Personally, I wouldn't be without either.

;D

Mark Thomas

Very well put, John, although I still find that I love Stanford's music whereas, a couple of works excepted, I admire Parry's.

Alan Howe

I am stirred by the music of both - but particularly by Parry 2 and Stanford's PC2. Great stuff.

Syrelius

Does anyone know what happened to the symphony cycle that Naxos announced many years ago? Only the second symphony was released and after a while Parry was removed from their list of future projects. It's a pity - I really liked Andrew Pennys interpretation... :(

albion

I have now added the the vocal scores highlighted below to IMSLP. A complete collection of Parry's major choral works is therefore now available -

Prometheus Unbound (1880)
The Glories of Our Blood and State (1883)
Blest Pair of Sirens (1887)
Judith (1888)
Ode on St. Cecilia's Day (1889)
L'Allegro ed Il Penseroso (1890)
Eton (1891)
De Profundis (1891)

The Lotos-Eaters (1892)
Job (1892)
King Saul (1894)
Invocation to Music (1895)
Magnificat (1897)
A Song of Darkness and Light (1898)
Te Deum (1900)
Ode to Music (1901)
War and Peace (1903)

Voces Clamantium (1903)
The Love that Casteth out Fear (1904)
The Pied Piper of Hamelin (1905)
The Soul's Ransom: A Psalm of the Poor (1906)
The Vision of Life (1907)
Beyond These Voices There is Peace (1908)
Eton Memorial Ode (1908)
Ode on the Nativity (1912)

The Chivalry of the Sea (1916)

Dundonnell

Congratulations, John, on your achievement :) :)

I have no doubt that involved a vast amount of work :) It is however satisfying to know that others will benefit from all the effort put in ;D

Jimfin

I very much enjoyed "Composer of the Week" on Parry: lovely to have him featured, even if virtually all the music is in my own collection.

albion

I have uploaded copies of my vocal scores of Parry's incidental music to Aristophanes' plays

The Frogs (1892)
The Clouds (1905)
The Acharnians (1914)

to IMSLP (which is currently off-air for scheduled maintenance).

These were written for student productions given by the Oxford University Dramatic Society and constitute a highly attractive but little-known area of the composer's output.