Jan van Gilse - Chamber Music

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 06 March 2012, 21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Those (including myself) who like his Symphonies 1 & 2 (from cpo) and 4 (available thanks to our download section) await eagerly the forthcoming release of his 3rd (from cpo again).

But Van Gilse (1881-1944) composed more, of course. I have a CD featuring his Nonet for string quintet and four wind instruments (1916), the unfinished String Quartet (1922) and a Trio for flute, violin and viola (1927).
Personally I don't like the Nonet at all, maybe except the 3rd movement, an andante. I have the idea that it is would-be modernism, because Van Gilse wanted so much to be respected as a composer of his time.
However, the two movements of the String Quartet are lovely and I can only regret that Van Gilse never completed the work. He started composing the String Quartet on the advice of a friend, a magnetizer, hoping that Van Gilse could handle his frustrations with his tormentor, Willem Pijper.
The Trio is a strange and even funny work (the 2nd movement) and it is said that it belongs to the best chamber music Van Gilse has written. But like the Nonet, it sounds to me as pseudo modernism.

eschiss1

Thanks (other things being equal, I consider these things possible recommendations in their favor, if not very descriptive ("modernism"?).)