Malcolm Lipkin(1932-): A Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Thursday 08 March 2012, 14:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Many people will perhaps never have heard of Malcolm Lipkin. Lipkin was a pupil of Matyas Seiber and of Anthony Milner. He is one of those basically tonal British composers still living but largely ignored by the record industry and the critical cognoscenti. (Others include Anthony Hedges and Patric Standford.) However there are four works of his in the British Music Catalogue and Archive here and the two symphonies, in particular No.3, I find very rewarding works. I suppose that it is too much to hope that Lipkin's 80th birthday might be honoured by some company ??? :(

MALCOLM LIPKIN: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1957:             Piano Concerto: 23 minutes
1951-52:      Violin Concerto No.1: 24 minutes
1956-57/1960:Movement for Strings: 10 minutes
1958-65:        Symphony No.1 "Sinfonia da Roma": 20 minutes
1960-62:        Violin Concerto No.2: 26 minutes  *
1963/1979:   Pastorale for Horn and Strings: 5 minutes
1966/1969:   Mosaics for Chamber Orchestra: 10 minutes  *
1969:             Psalm 96 for chorus and orchestra: 30 minutes
1974:             Concerto for Flute and Strings: 15 minutes
1975-79:      Symphony No.2 "The Pursuit": 24 minutes  *
1979-86:      Symphony No.3 "The Sun": 27 minutes  *
1988-89:      Oboe Concerto: 19 minutes
1998:            Suite for String Orchestra "From Across La Manche": 16 minutes    +  (Naxos cd)
2004:            Festivo for String Orchestra: 4 minutes

dafrieze

Back in the 1980's or 90's, Hyperion released an LP containing three of Lipkin's chamber works - a string trio, a Pastorale and a chamber work entitled Clifford's Tower - all played by the Nash Ensemble.  It's been long out of print and I don't think (or at least know) that it was ever released on CD, or that there are any plans on Hyperion's part to do so.  Would they be eligible for uploading to this site?

petershott@btinternet.com

I know of Malcolm Lipkin on account of his 1988 Piano Trio performed by the English Piano Trio, and on Kingdom RCLCD2029, along with works by Goldschmidt and David Matthews. I'd love to hear more of his music - just in case a record company happens to read this!

Dundonnell

Quote from: dafrieze on Thursday 08 March 2012, 17:29
Back in the 1980's or 90's, Hyperion released an LP containing three of Lipkin's chamber works - a string trio, a Pastorale and a chamber work entitled Clifford's Tower - all played by the Nash Ensemble.  It's been long out of print and I don't think (or at least know) that it was ever released on CD, or that there are any plans on Hyperion's part to do so.  Would they be eligible for uploading to this site?

I would imagine that such an upload would be acceptable :)