Any information on the Granados Piano Concerto?

Started by pianoconcerto, Friday 09 March 2012, 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

pianoconcerto

Does anyone know what happened with the "lost" Granados piano concerto that was in the news a few years ago after being rediscovered by pianist/conductor Melani Mestre in 2009?  According to the Spanish Wikipedia, it was performed by Mestre and the Lviv SO on 27 Oct. 2010, under Alexis Soriano, and was published by Editorial Boileau de Musica in the same year (see http://www.boileau-music.com/libro.asp?codart=B.3612&idioma=0 for Mestre's written comments about the work).  A recording was planned, but all that remains available are youtube clips of Mestre speaking about his discovery.  Were there any reviews of the première?  (It was supposed to be performed in both Lviv and Barcelona.)  Does anyone have a recording to post?  Thanks.

thalbergmad

I know it was recorded a couple of months ago in Glasgow, but I have no knowledge when it will be released.

Concertingly.

Thal

simonme20

It is up and coming on the Hyperion Romantic Piano Concerto series. Should be within the next 2 or 3 releases...

TerraEpon

Hmmm.....if I'd wager a guess, Albeniz Piano Concerto No. 1 (alas No. 2 is 'incomplete', whatever that means in this case) will be the coupling.

Just a guess of course, but it'd hardly be surprising, and at least the piece isn't over recorded.

simonme20

Apparently these are also ones to look out for later in the year alsong with the Granados - Dubois, Döhler & Dreyschock

Gareth Vaughan

That will be the Dohler PC and the Dreyschock Concert Piece +Salut de Vienne (the latter a petit rien, but enjoyable nonetheless).

thalbergmad

eschiss1

I only just heard of Döhler in the last year or thereabouts myself (and because of his piano solo works). Glad to see him there too.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotehaha, finally given in has he???

I guess so, Thal - and I must say, I'm quite pleased - though I don't think we'll be hearing that outrageous cascade of broken octaves which Frank Cooper inserted before the last chord of Dreyschock's Concert Piece on the Genesis recording because, while entirely in character, it's not in the score. (It always made me laugh with delight because it was so OTT!)

Mark Thomas

I'm so pleased that we'll have a modern recording of the Dreyschock. I have loved it for 40 years since buying the Genesis recording way back in 1972. Not great music, to be sure, but an absolute barn-storming charmer and it has so much more character than the disappointingly vapid Piano Concerto. I had no idea that the broken chords aren't in the score. Schade!

Frank Cooper's performance can be downloaded from our Downloads Archive here.

JimL

Guess we'll also get to hear the original scoring for the soloist of those clarinet arpeggios that Cooper transcribed too.

Gareth Vaughan

Just so, Jim.  My fear is that the original version will be a disappointment after Frank Cooper's wholly sympathetic and colourful alterations.

Mark Thomas

mmmm, hadn't thought of that. Maybe it's a good job that I digitised Frank Cooper's recording.

thalbergmad

It seems that liberty taking with the score has died out. A shame, as for me it would be at the very heart of romanticism.

I wonder if Mr Cooper had heard/played Tausig's take on the Chopin 1st PC???

Thal

eschiss1

Well, not entirely- Adam Fellegi takes many liberties with at least some of his Medtner recordings, for instance- but I'd have liked it if they'd mentioned that in the booklet...