New from cpo in 2010

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 21 November 2009, 14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

A number of composers in the 2010 CPO list I've wanted to get to know. I'd be grateful if anybody who sees something they've been waiting for would say what their first choice would be.

edurban

I guess it depends on your inclination.  1.) I love French grand opera, so the Gounod opera is especially intriguing to me.  2.) The Gouvy also raises my antenae.  3.)I love Spohr, and B. Molique is one of the Spohr pupils who actually sounds like a 'chip off the old block'. 

Delicious stuff any way you look at it, though.

David

peter_conole

Hi all

Good to know Bernhard Molique is attracting a few comments. He was more than just a Spohr disciple. His chamber music is still a closed book to me, but some of his orchestral/concertante works have reached fringe status in the repertoire. His Concertina (no 1, equals accordion) Concerto was even performed on national radio in this part of the world just a few years back. A first (or second) ever concertante work for the instrument, I believe. His cello concerto (1853) has also been given radio space. There are commercial recordings of fine concertos  for flute and oboe.

The odd thing, and I mean odd, is that.... Moliqiue was touted as being basically a violinist 'virtuoso' composer, and produced some master works for the violin in concerto form in the 1830s and 1840s. Emery, Swalin and Toskey rhapsodise over them. Rightly so - have heard a couple performed live for violin with piano. The same writers also praised various Ferdinand David violin concertos of roughly the same period. There is little justice here. Minor David concertante works for other instruments have been recorded, but none for his major performing instrument. A mad and unfair situation for both composers in my opinion.

regards
Peter

JimL

I would be most interested in picking up concertos by both composers.  If only we could find Jon Frohnen again.  These works in particular sound like the kind of concertos that would fall into Naxos' virtuoso violinist concerto series while at the same time having a better than even chance of making Alan a happy man in terms of musical substance. :)

Falparsi

Hello,

My name is Jorge from Buenos Aires. I send my congratulations for this fantastic forum! I'm really happy to hear about the release of Pfitzner's DIE ROSE VOM LIEBESGARTEN, a superb work! Some time ago I have sent a list of suggested works to CPO but they didn't reply my message...   

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

(JB) Foerster quartets? Lots of good news in that list, yes. (I've seen his quartet no. 4, anyway, but heard several other works of his, including a few of his symphonies.) Their list for 2011 will probably be better still, in the meanwhile this selection is remarkable enough.

Hope they are not yet done with the music of Benjamin Frankel, some of whose chamber music might well make a good release still and has yet I think, to be commercially recorded anywhere (his piano quartet, 2nd violin sonata and 2nd string trio, I think, among those works. Or the Catalogue of Incidents.)

(That said :)! -- I like Telemann too and what I've heard of cpo's earlier music line in general, and wouldn't be without the best of that either; only a few labels recording vocal music by the Bach family- aside from Bach- and from his contemporaries- now, and cpo is one of them, along with Capriccio etc., I gather. Anyway. Capricious digression.)

Eric S.

Marcus

Glad to hear that the Enna symphony is being recorded. Eugene Goossens thought highly of his symphonies and his daughter mentioned them in her memoirs. The next Gilse addition is also welcome. I have enjoyed the first disc.
CPO -what an adventurous  label.
Marcus.

Empfindsamer

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 22 November 2009, 15:08
How irritating that to get the catalogue you have to fork out €1.99. It's no incentive to get a "free" Telemann CD which I certainly don't want, and which presumably they couldn't shift in the first place! What would it cost cpo to make a pdf of the catalogue downloadable for nothing? This is marketing from the 1980s!

Maybe they have read your complaints...  :)
http://www3.satzmedia-catalog.com/_CPO_2009/download.php?what=1
It's the 2010 catalogue, not 2009 as appairs.

eschiss1

Thanks! It used to be possible to pick up their catalog at some record stores (I think- maybe the salesman just had an extra copy to give to me that day? I have no idea), I'm glad it's available for free- I hope the site is legitimate, of course :)

giles.enders

I too find the way cpo issue their catalogue very irritating. I would happily pay a £1 or 2$ for it and some of the other more substantial catalogues, which give me pleasure to look through.  cpo on line isn't the easiest way to find out what they have. It might be a good idea if they gave the catalogue away with any cpo purchase.  I think they are very silly to do it the way they do as most casual shoppers are not aware of what else is available from them.

Empfindsamer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 05 July 2010, 04:18
I hope the site is legitimate, of course :)

Yep.
This is the "official" link on the CPO page on jpc.de. ;)

Empfindsamer

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 05 July 2010, 13:46
cpo on line isn't the easiest way to find out what they have. It might be a good idea if they gave the catalogue away with any cpo purchase. 

The problem is that the CPO catalogue is about 1 inch thick. :)
I bought it with the Telemann recordings.

jerfilm

I know that this is ancient thread, but I just finally got the opus 3 and 14 piano trios and it irritates me that I can't find the key signatures for any of them.  ( I notice the CPO likes to issue CDs without that information included).   Can anyone help out here, please?

Jerry

Mark Thomas