Henryk Wars (aka Henry Vars)

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 13 March 2012, 03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

Henryk Wars (birth name Warszowski with variant spellings), was a noted composer of movie and theater music. His work in pre-war Poland has been compared to that of Irving Berlin in the U.S. Of Jewish heritage, he was taken prisoner by the Nazis, but managed to escape and joined the Polish Corps in Russia.

After the war, he immigrated to the U.S. where he became a naturalized citizen and lived the remainder of his life. He was a friend of John Wayne, wrote songs for Doris Day, Bing Crosby and Brenda Lee, and scores for more than 60 movies.

In 2005, his widow donated his personal papers and manuscripts to the Polish Music Center at University of Southern California in Los Angeles. The manuscripts contained a remarkable cache of unknown symphonic music. Included in the collection:

Symphony No. 1
Piano Concerto
City Sketches (a 3 movement orchestral suite)
Maalot Overture

In June 2005, Wars' symphonic scores were given a world premiere by the Łódź Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Krzesimir Dębski, with Marek Żebrowski playing the Piano Concerto. A few months later, the music was featured in a performance at University of Southern California.

I am uploading for your pleasure a radio broadcast recording of the Piano Concerto from a 2008 concert by the Krakow Philharmonic with Peter Jablonski as soloist. It is a wonderfully melodic piece -- a bit showy, which is understandable given his trade, but definitely fun.

If anyone managed to capture the Łódź concert broadcast, please contribute it. I would certainly like to hear the rest of this man's music.

semloh

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Amphissa!  :)

I know of Wars through the contribution of his orchestra to popular music of the 30s, notably accompanying 'Adam Aston' - whose experiences of serving with Gen. Anders' 2nd Corps after escaping Eastwards no doubt deserves a book of its own! I had no idea about Wars' capture or escape. These people were truly amazing.

I am looking forward to hearing some of his music.  :)

ambersmiths

Thanks man thanks for sharing really appreciated..

jerfilm

Love the concerto - thanks.  So what if it sounds like movie score music??

Makes me think of Leith Steven's Concerto in c for the 1947 film Night Song. 

Jerry

Latvian

I have the Symphony and will add it to my list of pending downloads. A splendid piece! Thank you for the concerto, which is also very enjoyable.

markniew

I have uploaded the 1st Symphony by Henryk Wars (announced few months ago by Latvian).
Available in the Downloads/Polish Music

Symphony No. 1  was composed in late 40's already in America where Wars arrived in 1947

This performance was given on 05.10.2008 during the 21st edition of the Polish Radio Music Festival entitled then "Emigrants".
broadcast live from the Polish Radio W. Lutosławski Concert Hall in Warsaw

Alan Howe

The PC is 9½ minutes of pure fake Addinsell-Rachmaninov. Glorious! Track 5:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077TVBV5T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Symphony is more dissonant, but certainly redolent of the golden era of Hollywood film scores.

A sumptuous CD.

Christopher

Quote from: markniew on Monday 14 May 2012, 20:36
I have uploaded the 1st Symphony by Henryk Wars (announced few months ago by Latvian).
Available in the Downloads/Polish Music

Symphony No. 1  was composed in late 40's already in America where Wars arrived in 1947

This performance was given on 05.10.2008 during the 21st edition of the Polish Radio Music Festival entitled then "Emigrants".
broadcast live from the Polish Radio W. Lutosławski Concert Hall in Warsaw

Hi Mark - I can't find the download you mention in the downloads section?

Alan Howe

Christopher

semloh

I've always had a soft spot for both the concerto and the symphony. How splendid that Wars finally has a CD devoted to his 'classical' music. I expect it was the dance band that put the bread on the table, but I wonder how much more he wrote.

Alan Howe

...and I actually prefer Wars' Symphony (1948-9) to Korngold's. I suspect it's more the sort of thing audiences were expecting when K's Symphony appeared. It has a lyrical character all of its own. If only John Wilson could be persuaded to record it with his super-band...

markniew

Hi All,

I am glad that the link to my upload of the Wars is still active.
Yes, it is really good that his symphonic music was finally recorded!
best.
Marek

adriano

I like this CD very much. It was about time to tribute this composer, who was only known so far as a jazz and film music composer/arranger!