E.J. Moeran(1894-1950): A Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Tuesday 13 March 2012, 15:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

(As a somewhat easier and more relaxing exercise ;D. I have not included information on cd recordings as, in some cases, there are multiple versions.)

E.J. MOERAN: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1921:             Symphonic Impression "In the Mountain Country" 
1922:             First Rhapsody for Orchestra   
1924/1941:   Second Rhapsody for Orchestra   
1931:             Two Pieces for Small Orchestra- "Lonely Waters"; "Whythorne's Shadow"   
1932:             Suite "Farrago" for orchestra (withdrawn)   *
1934:             Nocturne for baritone, chorus and orchestra   
1934-37:      Symphony in G minor
1937-42:      Violin Concerto
1938-43:      Rhapsody (No.3) in F sharp for Piano and Orchestra
1939-50:      Symphony No.2 sketched (a version completed and realised by Martin Yates has been recorded by Dutton)   
1943-44:      Overture for a Masque   
1944:            Sinfonietta
1944-45:      Cello Concerto   *
1948:            Serenade in G for orchestra

Christo

Another Labour of Love! ;)

One could perhaps add the completion of the Second Symphony (c.1939-1950) by Martin Yates, as released on a Dutton cd recently. It maybe Yates, but it does sound like Moeran.  8)

Dundonnell

I debated with myself whether to add the Symphony No.2 to the list but decided against it. I shall add now ;D

Christo

Time for another inner debate (Byzantine theology knew it by the name of perichoresis, the inner deliberations of the Trinity  8)). What about the Overture for a Festival (c.1930-35), orchestrated by Rodney Newton and found on the same Dutton cd?

Dundonnell

No......that one's not getting in ;D

It is an orchestration by Newton of a piano piece.

Jimfin

Yes, one of the few things I dislike about Dutton is their endless arranging of pieces that really don't need it. However, the 2nd Symphony has really grownon me now.

Hovite

Quote from: Jimfin on Wednesday 14 March 2012, 08:50
However, the 2nd Symphony has really grown on me now.

Last night I picked up a brochure that reveals that Martin Yates will conduct a Sunday afternoon concert performance of this symphony at The Dome, Brighton, on 9 December 2012, with the Brighton Philharmonic Orchestra (which is quarried from pits in London). The program that day also includes Ireland's Piano Concerto.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the orchestra, here is a link to a review of their recent bold delivery of Bruckner's Symphony No. 8:

http://www.bachtrack.com/review-brighton-philharmonic-bruckner-eighth-symphony

Moderator's Note:
This reply should really have been posted on the Composers and Music board. Let's restrict posts here to matters relating to the catalogue of Moeran's works only.
Alan Howe