Sir Eugene Goossens(1893-1962): a Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 17 March 2012, 04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Thanks to Albion for his clarification of the orchestral music Goossens extracted from "Judith" and for noting that this has been issued on a Dutton historical cd.

I have amended the list to include this and the Signum recording of "Kaleidoscope'.

mikehopf

I can let you have The Apocalypse. It was issued in both LP & cassette format in Australia in 1982.

When I came to Australia about 27 years ago, I bought six of the cassette sets to send to friends overseas and an LP set for myself.

There has been much of Goossens music recorded by the ABC over the past 50 years. It's almost as though he is regarded as an Australian composer. This is odd in view of the disgraceful way he was treated in the 50s,  particularly in view of the huge contribution he made to the promotion of classical music over here.

Today, his "offences" would have been laughed out of court.

patmos.beje

If permissible, it would be great if 'The Apocalypse' can be uploaded so many of us can listen to it.

Dundonnell

Quote from: patmos.beje on Monday 19 March 2012, 15:11

If permissible, it would be great if 'The Apocalypse' can be uploaded so many of us can listen to it.

Very much agreed :)

Sydney Grew

I have a recording of a broadcast of what seems to have been his last work, the Divertissement for what sounds like a large orchestra, opus 66, dated 1962 according to the announcer. It is quite substantial, lasting eighteen minutes, and consists of three sections: Dance Prelude, Scherzo and Folk-Tune, and Flamenco. For some as yet unexplained reason it is not listed in Grove's Dictionary. I think the "folk-tune" also appears in a work of Delius or perhaps Grainger, but I have not identified it. It is treated rather in the same way as Brigg Fair.

Regrettably I cannot post the performance here as it seems to be the one on the current C.D. But I did also find tapes of three of his finest works of chamber music, which I think will qualify.