Weinberg's Symphony No. 20 from Chandos

Started by Holger, Thursday 22 March 2012, 10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger

Excellent news for all Mieczysław Weinberg admirers: I got note that Chandos will release another Weinberg disc, which will contain his Cello Concerto in C Minor, Op. 43, and his Symphony No. 20, Op. 150. Performers will be Claes Gunnarsson (Cello), the Göteborg Symphony Orchestra and Thord Svedlund as conductor. The disc will be released in May.

Of course, it will be exciting to get to know a previously unrecorded Weinberg symphony, and especially one from his latest period!

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, excellent news! And thank you for the post.

And without wishing to appear grudgingly ungrateful - about time too! The Chandos Weinberg series is proceeding at a snail's pace, and in the meantime 'competition' from Naxos and Neos is beginning to appear (good news for us Weinberg enthusiasts, if not for the Chandos accountants).

Weinberg is someone I hadn't even heard of until about 10 years ago. Things started to change when I encountered those older rather creaky Olympia discs. And he is now one of those names who is in the forefront of my mind when I eagerly glance through lists of new releases each month. Exciting days, eh?

Holger

You are right, of course. Volume 1 of Chandos' Weinberg series was released in 2003, and in the meantime I have already been thinking myself about why things proceeded that slowly. I think the gap came after Vol. 3 – for whatever reason. Of course, it's obvious that the first three volumes were played by the Polish RSO Katowice with Gabriel Chmura conducting, while after that, Thord Svedlund and the Göteborg Symphony Orchestra took over. I don't know what's behind that – in any case, I am glad to get any recordings, and Svedlund is definitely doing a great job. Fortunately, releases now come in quite frequently, about one disc per year.

With the combined forces of Chandos, Naxos and Neos, it should hopefully be possible to have all Weinberg symphonies on CD in near future. It's great this excellent composer now begins to receive the attention he definitely deserves.

Dundonnell

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Thursday 22 March 2012, 10:18
Yes, excellent news! And thank you for the post.

And without wishing to appear grudgingly ungrateful - about time too! The Chandos Weinberg series is proceeding at a snail's pace, and in the meantime 'competition' from Naxos and Neos is beginning to appear (good news for us Weinberg enthusiasts, if not for the Chandos accountants).

Weinberg is someone I hadn't even heard of until about 10 years ago. Things started to change when I encountered those older rather creaky Olympia discs. And he is now one of those names who is in the forefront of my mind when I eagerly glance through lists of new releases each month. Exciting days, eh?

If Klaus Heymann's statement implying a measure of co-operation between Naxos and Chandos over new releases of Weinberg's music is to be believed then there should be no such 'competition' :)

True enough. Darwin of course pointed out that co-operation between species (and within species, which is, I suppose, from where morality originates) enables biological advance. Whether or not it works between record labels is something we shall see! Klaus Heymann is being remarkably sensible in suggesting this. But it doesn't quite fit with the track record of Naxos and its desire to dominate the world market.

No need to go on - music is far more fun and interesting than economics!

fr8nks

If you want a heart-rending experience listen to Weinberg's (Vainberg) Violin Sonata No.5 on Chandos. It was reviewer Mark Lehman's pick for disc of the year in American Record Guide.

eschiss1

I'll need to hear no.5 - Violin sonata no.3 's opening movement is quite affecting...

hemmesjo

I am unable to locate any recording of Weinberg's violin sonata on Chandos.  Has it been released only in UK/Europe?  I searched amazon using Weinberg/Vainberg and came up with nothing like this.  Who is the soloist?

Dan

Oops, many apologies Dan. I think what fr*nks must have been referring to was the recording by Stefan Kirpal and Andreas Kirpal on CPO 777 456-2 - and not Chandos. There isn't a Chandos recording (at least not to my knowledge), and I should have checked the record label before shouting out 'absolutely' and confirming my agreement with him that it is a super work.

fr8nks

My mistake. They are on CPO not Chandos.

hemmesjo

Quote from: fr8nks on Friday 23 March 2012, 12:48
My mistake. They are on CPO not Chandos.

Thanks.  I do have that.  I'll have to get it out again.

Dan

sdtom

For those who're interested in Weinberg Naxos just released his Symphony #12, in memory of Shostakovich coupled with a wonderful one act ballet The Golden Key. The CD# is Naxos is 8.573085
Tom

Alan Howe

Sorry, this is an old thread and no longer falls within UC's revised remit.