News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Melartin piano works

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Thursday 22 March 2012, 16:02

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Given his very recent post, I don't think Mark is going to persuade me to acquire the Simax discs of Tellefsen. (Though you never know!)

But in terms of 'complete piano works' I'd encourage forum friends to investigate the release of Erkki Melartin's 'Complete Solo Piano Works' on Crystal (N 67 048) performed by Maria Lettberg.

The 2CD set contains all manner of goodies. For a quite stunning thing that leaves the listener, let alone the performer, breathless there is Melartin's 15 minute sole Sonata of 1920, subtitled 'Fantasia apocaliptica'. Wow indeed.

I've also much enjoyed the 24 Preludes he wrote between 1913-20. Some lovely things here. Each short prelude (of between 1-2 minutes) has a descriptive title such as 'Cherry Blossoms in Japan', 'Evening Before the Storm', 'Autumn Night' and so on. But the music easily stands on its feet without those titles.

For me best of all is the collection of 5 pieces called 'The Melancholy Garden' (1908). The notes explain that Melartin originally intended it as a set of tone poems for orchestra, but in my view we don't need a full orchestra to interfere with the deep effect of these pieces (a controversial view!). Melartin dedicated the work to Sibelius, the accompanying letter reading "Dear big brother Jean....". Big brother replied, "I thank you for the Suite, the letter, and for the kind words. The Suite is an outstanding poetical work. You have there found a very apt expression for solitude. I understand you very well." In my view, it is a lovely work.

I don't think I've heard Maria Lettberg before. But like those proverbial London buses, two come along at the same time. Early days yet and I'm still working my way through it, so shall reserve comment save to say that thus far I'm mightily impressed, but Capriccio (49586) has released an 8 CD set of Scriabin's's complete solo piano works (or rather all the Scriabin pieces with opus numbers) played by Lettberg. Scriabin isn't everyone's composer, but I consider him as important in the history of piano literature as Chopin (ho, ho, that will set them flying). These Lettberg performances seem to me pretty much the best Scriabin I've heard. And the boxed set (a rather shoddy, inferior box, but no matter) can be had at a not unreasonable price. Use the DVD accompanying the set to hang on the fruit trees to scare off the marauding pigeons. It is a useless thing, made up of Lettberg playing bits of things and going on about the meaning of life.

eschiss1

Jean DubĂ©'s been recording  several of them on IMSLP, too, I think.

DennisS

Thank you Peter for alerting me to Maria Lettberg's 2 cds on Melartin's piano music. I listened to the sound bites on JPC and immediately put in my order. It was not a hard decision to make as I already have Melartin's symphonies 1-6 and also the VC. The VC is, incidentally, one of my favourite VC's of all time and I am, not surprisingly, a huge admirer of Melartin. Thanks again.
Cheers
Dennis

Balapoel

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Thursday 22 March 2012, 16:02
But in terms of 'complete piano works' I'd encourage forum friends to investigate the release of Erkki Melartin's 'Complete Solo Piano Works' on Crystal (N 67 048) performed by Maria Lettberg.

I too will purchase this, but is it really 'complete'. My records indicate that these are not recorded here:
Opp. 2, 5, 8, 9, 11, 16, 16b, 18, 23, 25, 27, 33-35, 48, 49, 53-54, 66-68, 75-76, 81-84, 91-93, 98, 101, 104, 110, 112, 114, 119-120, 126-127, 129, 135, 137, 143-144, 163, 177, 181, 183, and many other pieces/collections without Opus.

Or is this the first release in a series?

petershott@btinternet.com

You are perfectly correct, Balapoel. There are more piano works in the Melartin work list than the ones included in Maria Lettberg's set. That set is entitled 'The Solo Piano Works', and it is a clearly misleading title.

In an interview Lettberg explained that her project devoted to Scriabin lasted over three years. That set (consisting of the complete Scriabin works with opus numbers) was released by Capriccio. During this period she then became aware of Melartin's music, and was invited by Crystal (the successor to Capriccio) to record a two CD set of Melartin. She says she wanted to show something of the range of Melartin's piano music.

She succeeds - in my view - admirably in that aim. But it is irresponsible for Crystal to implicitly suggest that the set contains all of the piano music! As you indicate, there are many works not included. Whether these other works are of a similar quality or importance to those included is something I do not know. When I ordered the set I did so because I had been highly impressed by Lettberg's Scriabin, and knowing the Melartin symphonies, I wanted to get to know the piano music. That there are more piano works than those included does not unduly disappoint me since I enjoyed those included. The two CDs are very full, and more works would have meant more CDs and more expense. If there is going to be a 'follow up' second volume by Lettberg, I shall certainly buy it. However there is no mention of that in the notes to the present volume.

Peter1953

Yes, Peter Senior, you've made me very curious, so I ordered the double CD with as a result that I'm really enthusiastic about this piano music. This is my first acquaintance with the music of Melartin. Dennis, do you suggest to explore his symphonies and the VC? Let me guess...  ;)

Latvian

QuoteThis is my first acquaintance with the music of Melartin. Dennis, do you suggest to explore his symphonies and the VC? Let me guess...  ;)

There is some fine Melartin orchestral music in the Finnish folder in the Downloads section.