Rauchenecker Symphony No. 1 in F minor, etc.

Started by black, Thursday 03 December 2009, 13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

John Boyer

Do the Klughardt symphonies that follow maintain this Wagnerian leaning, or did he use it just for this program symphony, just as Herzogenberg did?  I have not heard any of them, though the folks at JPC are working to fix that.

Alan Howe

I'd describe Klughardt's later symphonies as more of a mixture of classical and progressive elements. He certainly didn't become a full-blown progressive.

hyperdanny

Finally I have been able to devote some time to listen to the Rauchenecker.
This time DH was quite a bit off the mark.
Basically his main contention against the symphony was that it banally embodied the stereotypical German Romantic symphony, with no originality whatsoever.
hearing this, and knowing the date, it's logical to expect some average Mendelssohnian concoction of the kind churned out by the Leipzig conservatory in the hundreds.
Which is exactly what this symphony is not.
I am not saying it's a masterpiece, but I found this Wagner-turned-absolute music/Dvorakian hybrid quite entertaining and, in places, quite original in its soundworld.
It took two listening sessions, though: I really think DH listened to it just once.
This reminds me of when he absolutely trashed on his website another piece I really like: the Rabaud symphony, which I think is a pretty fantastic French symphony.

Alan Howe

I agree - not a masterpiece, but quite original for its date.

eschiss1

Also, if you hear something only once, it's the more likely you hear what you expect to hear, so to speak :)

hyperdanny

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Just noticed who wrote the English translation of the preface to the MPH reprint of the 1st symphony. Neat :)

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

hyperdanny

In Fanfare's May/June issue, just published, Jerry Dubins (probably that magazine's reviewer most interested and well-versed in the Unsungs) writes a very long and very positive review of the Rauchenecker cd, especially about the symphony. Actually his general tone is very much in line with what we have said here. He only objects mildly to the size of the orchestra, thinking that the symphony could have benefited from larger forces.

eschiss1

Dubins' reviews did not impress me years ago but I am glad to find out that he has become better (or that I lacked perception) since the last place here that carried Fanfare closed (my subscription already having lapsed.)

hyperdanny

I feel similarly: I have been a Fanfare subscriber for a very long time, and he never was one of my favorites.
But in the last few years he has become one: first of all, he's become more specialized in hardcore Romantics, either Unsung or mainstream, and writes long and interesting reviews, often to the point of being mini-essays.
I bought quite a few cd's after reading his reviews, and so far I never regretted it.

Alan Howe

Thanks for telling us about Dubins' review. Fascinating.

Alan Howe

Frank Rauchenecker, a descendant of the composer, has contacted me asking whether he could be sent a copy of Jerry Dubins' article on the new CD.

Can anyone help, please? If so, please send me a message.