New Chadwick from Dutton

Started by M. Henriksen, Sunday 01 April 2012, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

[I've moved this post to this thread, started by Edurban. Unfortunately, although it follows on naturally from Edurbans' post, it comes first here, because it was written earlier. I hope that's clear...  Mark]

Although it should have been in a separate thread, I've tried to look further into what compositions we can expect on a Chadwick disc. Mark mentioned the first Symphony which is a possibility. I've found no recordings of the following works (please feel free to make corrections!):

Overture The Miller's Daughter 1884
Pastoral Prelude 1891
Overture Adonais 1900
Symphonic poem Cleopatra 1905
Theme, Variations and Fugue 1908
Anniversary Overture 1922

There's also several works for chorus and orchestra.

And what is this work Lockhart mentioned, recorded in mono in 1959?

Morten

edurban

In his recent Fanfare interview (thank you Morten) conductor Keith Lockhart says he is at work on a tantalising Chadwick disc for Dutton.  Here's the teaser:

"....None of the Converse pieces had been recorded, and one of the Chadwick had, but it was in 1959, in mono, and it wasn't a very good performance..."

Wonder what new Chadwick is in store?

David

mbhaub

More Chadwick is always welcome. I just played a concert last evening that opened with "Jubilee". The audience was blown away. The comments after were all the same: why haven't I heard this before? It's wonderful!

Can't wait to see what's coming. It's also quite gratifying and encouraging that Lockhart is taking on unfamiliar repertoire.

M. Henriksen

I've done some detective work on the web. It seems that Chadwick's Serenade for strings in F major from 1890 will be included on this disc. It has been recorded before by Hobart Earle and the American Music Ensemble Vienna for Albany Records. It can't be the old mono recording Lockhart refers to in the interview, because this recording is not from 1959 but a world premiere recording from 1990. Probably Lockhart wasn't aware of its existence.
Anyways, Lockhart Dutton have recorded the Serenade in March. So now we have approximately 25 minutes of the disc covered  :)

Morten

M. Henriksen

The 1959 mono recording Lockhart refers to has to be the one of Chadwick's Sinfonietta in D major that Karl Krueger made as a part of the Our musical past series. The cover on that record says that the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is playing. However, Chadwick biographer Bill F. Faucett writes in his book George Whitefield Chadwick: The Life and Music of the Pride of New England:

"A sympathetic, if technically imperfect recording was produced in 1959 by Karl Krueger and the American Arts Orchestra"

The Sinfonietta is a four movement work composed in 1904 according to Dundonnel's catalogue!

Morten

chill319

Back when 'ping pong' stereo recordings were for sale, a teenager in Florida was so eager to hear the Sinfonietta that he made a piano transcription of the first movement. For those who haven't yet heard Chadwick's Sinfonietta, the work is very much of a piece with the Symphonic Sketches -- that is to say, among the composer's most characteristic and bracingly 'American' music.

M. Henriksen

The Sinfonietta, the symphonic poem Cleopatra, the Adonais Overture and the Pastoral Prelude. Ready for purchase!
I was led to believe that the Serenade for strings was recorded by Dutton... Obviously not. Or maybe for a future disc!

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7293

Morten

Mark Thomas

A really mouth-watering release. To be selfish it's a shame that it isn't available for download, though I'm not really complaining and I'll certainly be ordering both this and Dutton's new CD of Godard's Piano Concerto No.2 and the companion pieces.

eschiss1

Saw the sinfonietta in score (if I remember, I helped reupload it, or something), I'm almost positive, and had just assumed for some odd reason that it was at least a little better-known and more recently recorded than it was. Does look good.  Something to look forward to. Thanks for the news!