BBC TV Symphony Series

Started by John H White, Thursday 03 November 2011, 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I note that the BBC are putting on a series of programmes on The Symphony, starting tonight, 3rd November, at 9pm GMT on BBC 4.
  I suspect it will all be "mainstream" stuff, but it would be nice to have something on the early symphonists such as C F Abel and the younger Bachs and maybe later on Spohr, Lachner, Raff and Rufinatscher could get a mention, to say nothing of Hans Rott and the myriads  of other fine symphonists we talk about on this forum.

Alan Howe

It'll all be mainstream stuff - but I'll be watching all the same!

John H White

I was very impressed with this first installment, even though it was predictably mainstream. It was so good to see and hear these early symphonies being played on authentic instruments, such as natural horns, wooden flutes and gut strung strings.

Mark Thomas

I quite agree. It does auger well for the rest of the series. Mainstream, certainly, but not dumbed down.

Alan Howe

Yes, it was a riveting watch - good stuff. Isn't Mark Elder an inspiration? So articulate, so knowledgeable.

Mark Thomas

All of those things - but at the same time I find his staring-eyed intensity ever so slightly scary.

Hovite

Quote from: John H White on Friday 04 November 2011, 09:52I was very impressed with this first installment, even though it was predictably mainstream.

We got Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven (plus a snippet of Stamitz). It was tailored for a television audience. So the program kicked off with Haydn's visit to London, late in his life, before going backwards to Mozart, and then back even earlier to Haydn early life. (This may have confused the casual viewer, because although dates were given, they are hardly likely to be remembered.) Not only were other composers, such as Boccherini, unmentioned, but so too were Haydn's brother, and Mozart's father. As for Beethoven, we just got as far as Symphony No. 3, so I rather fear that there is a lot more Beethoven to come.

Given the limitations of the series, just 4 programs, I thought that the first episode was as good as could be expected. Furthermore, the BBC has produced a wealth of linked material:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/symphony/

Hovite

I'm less impressed by the second and third programs. Berlioz and Liszt each got more attention than Bruckner and Mahler.

Alan Howe

Ah, but it's the question of what happens in the half-century after Beethoven. For me it was fascinating that they missed out Mendelssohn and Schumann and majored on Berlioz and Liszt - after all, without the radical innovation of these composers (plus Wagner), Bruckner and Mahler wouldn't have written their music at all...

davidwilson

I have seen all the series and desperately waiting for the next one to come.

fr8nks

I have been looking for a particular PBS broadcast of "Live from Lincoln Center" for many years. It is No.79 dated October5, 1988. The program was Mahler Symphony No.1 and Dvorak's Cello Concerto. Zubin Mehta was the conductor and Hugh Downs was the announcer. I would like a video of the entire 2 hour performance including the interviews and comments. Can anyone please help?

ajones

I am excited to see this new series, i am have been waiting for a show like this in a long time, i bet you its going to be worth watching. I do hope that they really deliver to the fans and viewers expectations so that it will really be a click. Hoping for the best! i'm keeping my fingers crossed hope this turn out to be a good one, wouldn't wanna be dissapointed wont we.