David Diamond(1915-2005): a Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 06 April 2012, 00:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

My next offering is of the music of another very fine American composer who, like so many other great symphonists, was eclipsed by the serialists and the avant-garde from the 1950s onwards but whose music deserves to be remembered and celebrated. Fortunately, Naxos has reissued most of the works recorded by Delos during that splendid, if short-lived period, period when that company was recording works by composers of Diamond's general style.

DAVID DIAMOND: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1934:   "Hommage a Satie" for orchestra: 4 minutes      +  (Koch cd)
1935:   Sinfonietta    *
             Threnody for orchestra
              Divertimento for Piano and Orchestra
1936:   Psalm for orchestra: 8 minutes    +  (Naxos cd)
             Ballet "TOM"
                 (Ballet Suite: 23 minutes    +  Naxos cd)
             Violin Concerto No.1: 25 minutes
1937:   Variations for small orchestra
1937-38:Elegy in memory of Ravel for brass, harps and percussion: 7 minutes      + (Citadel, Delos and Nonesuch cds)
1938:   Heroic Piece for small orchestra: 11 minutes
             Cello Concerto: 23 minutes
1939:   Concert Piece for orchestra: 12 minutes   +  (Delos cd)
1940:   Concerto for small orchestra: 13 minutes   +  (Delos cd)
1940?:   Aria and Hymn for orchestra: 13 minutes
1940-41:Symphony No. 1: 22 minutes   + (Naxos cd)
1941:   Ballet "The Dream of Audubon"
1942-43:Symphony No.2: 42 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1944:   Rounds for string orchestra: 14 minutes  *   +  (Delos, Warner and Sonora cds)
             Overture to "The Tempest": 4 minutes
1945:   Symphony No.3: 30 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
             Symphony No.4: 16 minutes   +  (Sony and Naxos cds)
1947:   Violin Concerto No.2: 33 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
             Music for Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" for orchestra: 23 minutes        + (Citadel, Bay Cities and Delos cds)
1947-64:Symphony No.5: 20 minutes   *    + (New World cd)
1948:   "The Enormous Room" for orchestra: 15 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1949:   Symphonic Portrait "Timon of Athens": 9 minutes
1949-50:Piano Concerto: 26 minutes    *
1950:   Ceremonial Fanfare for brass: 1 minute   +  (Citadel cd)
1951-54:Symphony No.6: 26 minutes   *
1951:   "Mizmor l'David"-Sacred Service for tenor, chorus, organ and orchestra
1954:   Sinfonia Concertante for chamber orchestra: 23 minutes
             "Ahavah" for reciter and orchestra: 31 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1956:   "Diaphony" for brass, two pianos, timpani and organ
1957:   "The World of Paul Klee" for orchestra: 12 minutes   +  (CRI cd)
1959:   Symphony No.7: 16 minutes   *
1958-60:Symphony No.8: 30 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1962:   "This Sacred Ground" for baritone, chorus and orchestra: 15 minutes     +  (Naxos cd)
1963:   Elegies for flute, English horn and string orchestra
1965:   Concertino for Piano and Small Orchestra: 12 minutes
1967:   Choral Symphony "To Music" for tenor, bass-baritone, chorus and orchestra:   20 minutes
             Violin Concerto No.3: 23 minutes
1969:   Music for Chamber Orchestra: 17 minutes
1970:   Overture No.2 "A Buoyant Music"
1975:   Six Concert Arias from "The Noblest Game" for soprano and orchestra: 20 minutes
1977:   Secular Cantata for chorus and orchestra: 40 minutes
1985:   Symphony No.9 for baritone and orchestra: 35 minutes   *
1986:   Flute Concerto: 27 minutes   + (Albany cd)
1987:   "Tantivy" for symphonic band: 10 minutes   +  (Citadel cd)
1987/2000: Symphony No.10: 50 minutes   *
1989:   Kaddish for Cello and Orchestra: 10 minutes   +  (Naxos, Avie and Albany cds)
             Heart's Music for brass: 4 minutes   + (Citadel, Klavier and Mark Masters cds)
1991:   Symphony No.11: 46 minutes
1995-96:"Night Thoughts" for small orchestra
1996:   Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra

and       Overture for Large Orchestra: 4 minutes
             October for symphonic wind band   + (Citadel cd)

suffolkcoastal

Of the unrecorded works, I have the Aria & Hymn (1941), Timon of Athens and the Concerto for String Quartet & Orchestra (fabulous work).
Diamond's large and important body of chamber music has been reasonably well served on CD. Albany issuing the complete cycle of his string quartets has been invaluable. It is, in my opinion, one of the finest quartet cycles of the 20th century and why works like the 3rd Quartet aren't in the repetoire of most major String Quartets, is totally beyond me.

petershott@btinternet.com

I much agree with the view that David Diamond's string quartets are very fine indeed, and the complete cycle of them is a magnificent achievement. However I'm not going to stick out my neck and claim them to be one of the finest cycles of the 20th century - simply for the reason that there are many sets of quartets out there which have at least equal status. No point in arguing about 'the finest' when there are so many! But yes, the four Albany CDs of the Potomac Qt performing the quartets are wonderful. And thank gawd for the Potomac and Albany, because no other record company (to my knowledge) has ever touched these quartets, and I'm not aware of any Quartet (at least in the UK) who perform them.

I'm sure you know it (but others might not and hence its virtues are worth proclaiming) but there is another rewarding Albany disc of chamber music containing the two Violin Sonatas and the Quintet for Clarinet, 2 Violas and 2 Cellos (a most unusual ensemble).

Finally it is clearly merely a psychological quirk of my own, and I wouldn't for a moment expect anyone else to agree with the view, but the Diamond symphonies have never much appealed to me - I've tried over the years but somehow I just fail to respond to them. Clearly I'm responsible for that, and not the composer!

And incidentally Suffolk Coastal (and on the assumption that this is where you in fact live!) do you know that no less than the Doric Quartet are in my little village of Hoxne on 27 May? Tickets at a heavily subsidised £12 would bring you early Haydn, Beethoven Op 131, and (probably) Chausson. A bargain - and apologies to all for a bit of unashamed marketing!