News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jean Louis Nicodé

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 15 December 2009, 03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Most of the W. A. Albert recordings were broadcast many years ago - they are probably ten years old. So, if cpo hasn't released them by now, who knows if they ever will...

Mark Thomas

Yes, Amphissa, please do upload the Nicodé. As it happens I have all these radio recordings myself and can certainly attest to the quality of Albert's interpretations. My copy of the Symphonic Variations under Barth is very muddy, so maybe yours will be an improvement. The Variations is, by the way, IMHO the strongest of the pieces.

Eric, Don o'Connor's treatise is a really worthwhile read and I do recommend it.

eschiss1

thanks, I've downloaded it and will go have a look soon. It's great (but incomprehensible) how these detailed, hours (as in months-to-years)-of-person-effort treatises and typeset editions and (a goodly long list of etc.) are made available for free over the internet... the doctoral dissertations online (many of them also fascinating and informative!) are made available I suppose not quite with the entire "free" consent of their authors but because they've handed over their rights, but so much also too...
sorry, sorry.

Steve B

"carnival scenes" is on an old Urania Lp. Steve

dafrieze

Did you upload the Nicode works?  I don't see them on the "Downloads" area.

Amphissa

oldman

You left the files set to private.  They are inaccessable.

Steve B

I have successfully downloaded them. Thx amphissa. I notice the Carnival Scenes there too:)Steve

fahl5

I am new here and lucky to find people interested in Nicodé.
I have recorded the Two Studies op12, the Variations op.18 and the Pianosonata op. 19
If you are interested, listen the Nicodé pieces on my site  "klassik-resampled":
I hope you like them.
best
fahl5

eschiss1

Belated response- there have been a couple of other recordings of Nicodé's music at least: an early 1960s LP with Gühl conducting the Großes Rundfunkorchester in the Bilder aus dem Süden; a more recent CD with a romance for violin and piano (this may be the disc earlier mentioned, as it also has one of his cello sonatas and a recording, for piano duet, of the same Bilder aus... Op.29 - Langebrück : Förderverein für Fremdenverkehr und Touristik Langebrück und Umgebung e.V., 2003); and an LP with Hilmar Weber conducting the Symphony Orchestra of Radio Leipzig in the Op.24 Faschingsbilder (Carnival Scenes).

Richard Moss

Folks,

For Mark and anyone else interested, I've just come across this link to a 'world 1st' recording of the Nicode 'Gloria' Symphony.  If this is old hat to members of this site, my apologies for the post.

http://klassik-resampled.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=854:jean-louis-nicode-gloria&catid=204&Itemid=587&lang=en

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe

Thanks, Richard. It isn't a performance as such, of course: it's a computer-generated rendition.

Richard Moss

My apologies for not actually checking it - I was rushing on something else and didn't want to lose it in case I forgot to go back to it, so I posted 'in haste' ('post haste'??).

Is it TELSTAR (that dates me!!) quality or better - 2 hours is a long time to persevere if the synthesiser(s) aren't top-notch!?  I'm currently listening to his other stuff posted here some time ago and that is all quite pleasant (but not memorable, methinks)

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe

Oh, I think it's pretty listenable - and for that we must be thankful.

Richard Moss

Alan, 

OK I'll try and give it a listen (but in small chunks!).  As synthesisers get better and better, it will be interesting to see at what point they become acceptable to the average ear as 'orchestral'. 

Certainly, if a score (unknown or otherwise) can be turned into something that we can actually listen to (e.g. as per some of the works on the 'Tchaikovsky Unknown' or 'Beethoven Unknown' sites), it at least gives us a sense of the music, particularly those of us not proficient at reading a score and immediately 'hearing' the expected orchestral sound.

Like some uploads of old scratchy LPs or broadcasts, if that's all we've got, then it's a lot better than having nothing.  There's nothing wrong with wanting 'better' but equally there's nothing wrong with 'if that's all we've got I'll take it'.

Cheers

Richard