News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jean Louis Nicodé

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 15 December 2009, 03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

The only mention ever on this board(that I'm aware of) regarding Jean Louis Nicodé was Mark's wish for a recording of the Gloria Symphony.

It's interesting to consider the fate of Nicodé. Despite the spelling of his name, he was German. In 1894 J.A. Fuller Maitland published a book entitled Masters of German Music. In the final chapter, titled "New Paths (?)", he wrote:

The Great Germans have curiously often come in pairs, as Bach and Handel, Haydn and Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, Schumann and Mendelssohn; but from the four men who alone seem worthy of serious consideration in the present day, it were hard to fix upon two, or even upon one, who is fit, or who gives promise of someday being fit, to assume the crown of music and hand down the glorious line of German supremacy to yet another generation.

The first in his list of contenders was Jean Louis Nicodé, who learnt a bit of violin from his father (an amateur violinist) and a bit of piano from a school friend, and eventually became the first professor of piano at the Dresden Conservatory. He left the position in a spat with the administration when he dared to program a two piano transcription of the Liszt Faust Symphony (prepared by Liszt himself).

He devoted himself to composition after that, and according to Maitland, in 1888, "one of his most important works was brought out and made a considerable stir in different parts of Germany."

The three other composers discussed by Maitland in the chapter are Richard Strauss, Hans Sommer and Cyrill Kistler.

Like Mark, I would love to hear the Gloria Symphony. All I have ever heard are an assortment of orchestral works (seven) all from the period before or contemporary with the symphony. And I can attest that they are exceptionally fine works, solidly in the romantic tradition without being terribly derivative.

As we know, Maitland missed it with his four contenders. The pair turned out to be Strauss and Mahler. But I would be wholely happy to hear the Gloria Symphony and some of his later works. And for that matter, I have yet to discover a single recording of his orchestral music released commercially. All of my recordings are from radio broadcasts.

But here is a teaser -- a piano piece called Ein Liebesleben (op. 22, no. 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42WyBjud2XU

If anyone knows of CDs of his music, please post.

A Nyholm

Dear Nicodé admirers,

The booklet that Nicodé wrote himself about the Gloria symphony can be read at http://digital.slub-dresden.de/ppn304656844 (most interesting, with many music examples).

It would be lovely to have a recording!

Anders

Martin Eastick

Hi Amphissa,

I, too, have always had an interest in Nicode's music, especially the piano works, both solo and for 4 hands. I have scores of nearly all his instrumental works and have long considered a recording must surely appear sooner or later - but alas no, except for the 2nd Cello Sonata Op25, which appears on vol 17 from the "In Flanders Fields" series issued by the Belgian company Phaedra. Just why this work is included is not too clear - but at least it is a good performance, and as far as I am aware the only music of Nicode to have been commercially recorded!

Alan Howe

Perhaps the best of J-LN's works which I have heard (in an off-air recording) is his Symphonic Variations, Op.27 (1885). It's a bit like Elgar's Enigma Variations, but without the real 'profile' of the latter. However, it is a thoroughly enjoyable piece, with a particularly beautiful central episode (the 9th and 10th variations), and is worthy of more than an occasional public performance (not that it gets even that, of course). I trust that cpo will be bringing out the German radio performances under that champion of the unsung, Werner Andreas Albert.

Amphissa

Here are the Nicodé orchestral works that I've managed to track down so far, in order by opus number. Conductors (and orchestras) vary -- Albert, Barth and Hanell. Although only 7 in number, some of them have several movements, so these 7 works would make two substantial CDs worth of music.

Introduktion & Scherzo, op 11 [1878] (Albert, NWDPO)
Italienische Volkstänze und Lieder, op 13#1 Tarantelle (Hanell, Berlin RSO)
Symphonische Suite, op 17 [1886] (Albert, NWDPO)
Faschingbilder, op 24 [1890] (Albert, NWDPO)
Symphonic Variations in C, op 27 [1885] (Barth, Stuttgart RO)
Bilder aus dem Süden, op 29 [1886] (Albert, NWDPO)
Zwei Stücke für Streichorchester, 2 Hoboen und 2 Hörner, op 32 [1890]  (Albert, NWDPO)

But I'm wondering if there are works that were performed in other broadcasts that I might want to try to track down. Alan, if you know (or if any of you know) of other works of his that I've missed, please let me know.

monafam

Nicodé sounds really interesting, particularly in light of the fact that he was mentioned as a contender as one of the next "Masters" yet it's not a name I'm familiar with at all!  This is what makes this forum so great.  Here is a composer that was obviously highly thought of at one point, but the way that history played out, he was all but buried.   Had he been born a littler earlier and not been eclipsed by Mahler and Strauss, would he not even be "unsung?"

Very interesting information.

Steve B

Quote from: Martin Eastick on Wednesday 16 December 2009, 19:10
Hi Amphissa,

I, too, have always had an interest in Nicode's music, especially the piano works, both solo and for 4 hands. I have scores of nearly all his instrumental works and have long considered a recording must surely appear sooner or later - but alas no, except for the 2nd Cello Sonata Op25, which appears on vol 17 from the "In Flanders Fields" series issued by the Belgian company Phaedra. Just why this work is included is not too clear - but at least it is a good performance, and as far as I am aware the only music of Nicode to have been commercially recorded!
Hi Martin, No; its not the only music recorded by Nicode; "carnival Scenes"(for orchestra), c/w francaix's "Emperors New Clothes" is on an Urania LP that I own.

Steve Benson

Didad

I have a 2CD set of Nicodé's music which includes:-
Pictures from the South, Op.29
Carnival Pictures, Op.24
Zwei Stucke, Op.32
Introduction & Scherzo
Symphonic Suite, Op.17
Symphonic Variations, Op.27 and
Italian Songs, Op.11

recorded by the NW German Phil/Albert
The Berlin RSO/Haneil
and the Stuttgart RSO/Barth

Unfortunately I can't give any label details.

Mark Thomas

Presumably this is a home-made compilation? The NW German Phil/Albert  are all German radio broadcasts which will eventually be issued by cpo I believe (and so I wouldn't want them uploaded here). The Barth performance of, I assume, the Symphonic Variations is an old radio recording.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 17 July 2011, 08:14
Presumably this is a home-made compilation? The NW German Phil/Albert  are all German radio broadcasts which will eventually be issued by cpo I believe (and so I wouldn't want them uploaded here).
Mark, the same applies to most of my Weismann uploads. Do you want me to delete the files?

Alan Howe

A bit of a dilemma, this. Mark and I will have a chat about it...

Mark Thomas

Yes, it is a dilemma, but I think I was being too cautious and too hasty. You'll appreciate that, as owner of the site I am very concerned about copyright violation, but as the Nicode (and Weismann) recording were made from the radio there isn't a problem with making links to them available here. Please excuse the senior moment.

jerfilm

Did I miss a posting of some uploads of Nicode's works?    That would be a great addition to the download section.....

Jerry

Amphissa

Mark, here is a list of the orchestral works that I have by Nicodé. These are all from radio broadcasts. With your permission, I will upload them for our members later this week.

Zwei Stücke für Streichorchester, 2 Hoboen und 2 Hörner op 32 [1890]  (Albert, NWDPO)
Symphonische Suite op 17 [1886] (Albert, NWDPO)
Symphonic Variations in C op 27 [1885] (Barth, Stuttgart RO) 
Introduktion & Scherzo  op 11 [1878] (Albert, NWDPO)
Faschingbilder op 24 [1890] (Albert, NWDPO) 
Bilder aus dem Süden op 29 [1886] (Albert, NWDPO)
Maria Stuart, symphonic poem, op. 4 [1880] (Albert, NWDPO)
Italienische Volkstänze und Lieder op.13. No.1 - Tarantelle (Hannell, Berlin RSO)

eschiss1

to the side, there is an interesting looking 87-page PDF about Nicodé's music at vonhausegger.com (Three by Nicode, written by Don o'Connor about Nicodé's Gloria, Symphonic Variations and Das Meer.
Eric