If the recording companies were watching...

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2012, 20:32

Previous topic - Next topic

suffolkcoastal

Putting things on to 3cds isn't easy as there is of course a limit of 80minutes and certain works won't always fit on together, and thereby you end up excluding works you would want to include in favour of ones further down you list in order to fill a cd. I'm afraid 3 is impossible 300 might be just within my limits, as there is just so much worthwhile music that needs recording before is disappears altogether.

Alan Howe

...which is why I set the parameters of the thread as I did - so that contributors would have to think about the practicalities of constructing three suitable CD programmes. After all, anyone can make a list...

suffolkcoastal

... however it is better to keep to one composer per cd, anyway it is an impossible exercise for me, there is far too much music I care about that has never been commercially recorded. However if I ever win enough on the lottery then I would want to sponsor a number of recordings.

Alan Howe

Rob H

CD1 Emanuel Moor - However many of the 4 Piano Concertos would fit on a disc (could it be a two CD set?)
CD2 Riccardo Pick-Mangiagalli - The Piano concertante works (Sortileggi, the concertos)
CD3 Abram Chasins - The 2 Piano Concertos

Any list of mine would include unplayed/unrecorded piano concertos - thankfully we are lucky to live in an age where the unrecorded list is being whittled down by Hyperion, Dutton and others.
Rob

Mark Thomas

My choices would all be German romantics:

CD1: Friedrich Gernsheim: Violin Concertos Nos.1& 2.
CD2: August Klughardt: Symphonies Nos.4 & 5.
CD3: Julius Ottoman Grimm: Symphony & Albert Dietrich: Normannenfahrt

A difficult exercise this, but the easy choices are all orchestral. Chamber music choices would also be German romantics but my triple-CD opera choice would undoubtedly be French - one of Halevy's grand operas in all probability.

BerlinExpat

I second the plea for more pre-Grimes British operas but please add a complete version (all the allowed 3 CDs if necessary) of Holst's Sita with all its horrid (so we are told) Wagnerianisms so we can judge for ourselves. So far we have only had tantalizing excerpts!

markniew

I limit myself only to Polish music:
1. Maliszewski, Żeleński - Piano Concertos
2. Gablenz - Piano Concerto, symphonic poems,
3. Maklakiewicz, Malawski - symphonies

and an extra CD 
4. Zarębski, Tausig - Piano concertos - there are information that they did compose ctos but the pieces were lost somewhere

Alan Howe

CD2: Gernsheim Violin Concertos 1 & 2
CD (set) 3: Wilhelm Berger Symphonies 1 & 2 (two CDs for the price of one)

thalbergmad

Quote from: Peter1953 on Thursday 12 April 2012, 21:56
CD 1
Dutch Romantic Piano Concertos
Carl A. Smulders (1863-1934)
Piano Concerto in A minor

That wonderful work already exists as a commercial recording.

My 3 would be:

CD1 - American Piano Concertos:
Boise - Piano Concerto in G
Conrath - Piano Concerto in B flat major

CD2 - British Piano Concertos:
Coles - Piano Concerto in F# Minor
Borowski - Piano Concerto in D
Hopekirk - Concertstuck in D

CD3 - German Piano Concertos
Scholz - Piano Concerto Op.57
Nikish - Concerto pour Piano et Orchestra

Thal

jerfilm

Ouuuuu - I second Mark and Alan's Gernsheim.  Buy 'em in an instant....

Jerry

eschiss1

missed the first post of the thread, apologies.

X. Trapnel

cd 1: Loeffler, Evocation, A Pagan Poem; Taylor, Peter Ibbetson Suite and Portrait of a Lady
cd 2: William Baines, Symphony
cd 3: Vittorio Giannini, Symphonies 1, 2, 5

eschiss1

Hrm. For the first 2 CDs- will get back to you later today on the third (estimated times based on existing non-commercial recordings or MIDIs- my own or others' - in most cases. The recordings of the Golubev works not wholly complete, so "estimated" several times over.)

CD 1- first 53-odd minutes: Lachner symphony 6.
+ 22 minutes: first two movements (Allegretto moderato (!) appassionato and Scherzo: Grazioso e vivace) from Scontrino's string quartet in G minor. (odd coupling unless arr. for orchestra or string orchestra, admittedly)

CD 2- Adagio and Allegro vivo from the Scontrino quartet (ca.19 minutes)
Myaskovsky violin sonata (ca.22 minutes)
Golubev Quartet 19 (1977) (ca.20 minutes?)
" Piano Sonata No. 6 in Homage to Myaskovsky Op.54 (1965) (ca.15 minutes?)

Peter1953

Quote from: thalbergmad on Saturday 14 April 2012, 23:23
Quote from: Peter1953 on Thursday 12 April 2012, 21:56
CD 1
Dutch Romantic Piano Concertos
Carl A. Smulders (1863-1934)
Piano Concerto in A minor

That wonderful work already exists as a commercial recording.

I've read that somewhere, Thal, but so far I have never seen a copy. I only know Smulders PC from youtube. So I think a brand new recording, coupled with the Brandts Buys, would bring me into an incredible excitement.

CD 3 (double disc)
Cornelis Dopper (1870-1939)
Symphony No. 1 "Diana"
Symphony No.2 "Scottish"
Symphony No. 5 "Sinfonia Epica"
Cello Concerto