If the recording companies were watching...

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2012, 20:32

Previous topic - Next topic

saxtromba

Cheating a little by counting opera albums as one CD.... :)

CD 1: Anton Rubinstein: The Merchant Kalashnikoff (I could do a whole long list of Rubinstein works, but I'll stick to just one for now).
CD2: Gabriel Von Wayditch: Buddha (or any other opera by this all-too-neglected figure).
CD 3 (okay, I'll be marginally realistic just this once): Paul Creston, Symphony #6.

Alan Howe

We certainly know that the recording industry keeps an eye on this site, yes. Mum's the word, however...

Jonathan

Ok,

CD1 - Liszt shorter orchestral works:

S.111, Zweite Mephisto Waltz (1881)
S.113, Salve Polonia (1863)
S.114, Künstlerfestzug zur Schillerfeier (1857)
S.115, Festmarsch zur Goethejubiläumsfeier [first/second version] (1849, 1857)
S.116, Festmarsch nach Motiven von E.H.z.S.-C.-G.
S.118, Ungarischer Marsch zur Krönungsfeier in Ofen-Pest (am 8 Juni 1867) (1870)
S.355 Vexilla regis prodeunt (1864)
S.356 Festvorspiel (1857)
S.357 Huldigungsmarsch [first & second versions] (1853, 1857)
S.358 Vom Fels zum Meer. Deutscher Siegesmarsch (1860)
S.361 Pio IX. Der Papsthymnus (ca. 1863)
S.362 Benedictus and Offertorium from the Hungarian Coronation Mass [from S11] (1875)
Bülow orchestrated Liszt - S.351 Mazurka Fantasie, Op. 13 (1865)
Cornelius orchestrated Liszt - S.352 Second Overture to The Barber of Baghdad [completed from Cornelius's sketches] (1877)
Schubert orchestrated Liszt - S.363 4 Marches [from Opp. 40, 54, 121] (1859–60)
Zarembski orchestrated Liszt - S.364, Danses galiciennes (1881)

CD2 - Alkan - any unrecorded piano works

For CD3 - I'll have to have a think and get back to you...

shamokin88

When I think of all the things we take for granted that weren't recorded when I started . . . .

I could go on. At length.

To spare us, though, I would like to see recorded the four string quartets by Jerzy Fitelberg.

Ditto the Hora Mystica Symphony by Charles Martin Loeffler.

And the two symphonies by Paul Juon, one finished, one not.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteDora Bright Piano Concerto
Rosalind Ellicott Piano Concerto
with orchestral fillers from either

I'd second this WHOLEHEARTEDLY but (a) does the Ellicott concerto still exist? and (b) I've noted before on this forum that the only two orchestral works by Dora Bright that are known to have survived are the 1st PC and the Variations on an Original Theme for piano & orchestra, both in MSS at the RAM. Lyrita were going to record the Dora Bright pieces before they disappeared from view and, although they have (thankfully) reappeared and released their back catalogue on CD there is no sign that the label is undertaking any new recordings.

erato

1) Hilding Rosenbergs 5th symphony
2) Hilding Rosenbergs opera oratorio Joseph and his Brethren

patmos.beje

Albion's Mackenzie disc and Christo's Stanley Bate disc definitely.

My suggestions would be:

CD1 - W H Bell - Orchestral Music & Vocal Orchestral Works

CD2 - Stanley Bate 2nd and 3rd Violin Concertos and Erik Chisholm Violin Concerto

CD3 - Mackenzie's The Rose of Sharon

Jimfin

I quite agree with Shamokin. If we were writing this in 1980, the list would include an awful lot of things that are now recorded. I only wish they were programmed in concerts and on the radio more often. Why the BBC needs so many "pop" stations (and even has a branch of "pop", i.e., jazz on its "classical" station, I'll never know. Pandering to ignorance, I suppose

Elroel

The Symphonies of Johann Nepomuk David, especially the Nº 5!!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Elroel on Saturday 14 April 2012, 00:23
The Symphonies of Johann Nepomuk David, especially the Nº 5!!

CPO is recording these symphonies :)  Johannes Wildner conducted the ORFT SO in a recording of Symphonies Nos. 2 and 4 in September 2008 and Symphonies Nos. 1 and 6 in February and March 2011.

When they will be released however only CPO will know ::) ::)

eschiss1

I almost feel like putting in a word for some jazz, but in another thread at another time, then (if even necessary).
Agreed- quite a lot of music on my personal 'list' of 2 decades ago has been recorded or even exists in multiple versions now, and some of it (Fuchs' 3rd symphony, e.g., which I saw in score less than a year coincidentally before the Thorofon recording was released) has shown up in concert at least a time or two (thanks, Leon Botstein.) (And trolling things like Concertzender Live and this and that else shows that there's always a little more being performed, etc. than one thought - and I still wish I had been visiting Manchester (I never have) when the Danel Quartet was playing Weinberg that year... well, I said that.)
Still looking for commercial recordings of , among other things- (actually, in most cases of these, I have no recordings except maybe MIDIs...)

*a good and listenable recording of Myaskovsky's violin sonata op.70.
*Golubev chamber works, especially the string quartets (e.g. nos. 8, 9, 18, 19.)
*Hessenberg chamber works (especially string quartets 3 in A and 4 in e.)
*More Stanford late chamber works (most are in manuscript, I know.) And a good commercial recording of No.3 in D minor.
*Substantial works by Emanuel Moór (symphonies, string quartets, etc.)
*Hegar concertos (the string quartet @IMSLP - if I may mention - sounds good and surprising, too.)
*Manuscript works by Frédéric Louis Ritter (concertos, symphonies, ...)
*Likewise those by David Stanley Smith (actually, his quartets, symphonies, sonatas generally...)
*Scontrino's quartets!

That'll do for a very start...

alberto

Cd 1
Alfredo Casella : War pages, 5 pieces for orchestra
Gian Francesco Malipiero : "Danze e Canzoni" for. orch. (1912)
                                          "Per una favola cavalleresca", for. orch. (1914)
Ildebrando Pizzetti: "Ouverture per una farsa tragica", for orch. (1911)

Cd 2
Antonio Bazzini: "Francesca da Rimini" , symphonic poem
Luigi Mancinelli: "Scene Veneziane", for orch.

Cd3:
Giovanni Sgambati : "Epitalamio Sinfonico " (or "Sinfonia epitalamia", n.3)
Leone Sinigaglia : "Piemonte", suite for orch.
                             "Danza piemontese" op.31 n.2

britishcomposer

Quote from: shamokin88 on Friday 13 April 2012, 18:26
To spare us, though, I would like to see recorded the four string quartets by Jerzy Fitelberg.

Edward, do you have non-commercial recordings of the Fitelberg Quartets? If not I would be glad to upload a performance of the 2nd Quartet.

Alan Howe

May I respectfully ask contributors not to post lists, but three CDs' worth of music - much more helpful to any casual visitor to this site...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 14 April 2012, 13:20
May I respectfully ask contributors not to post lists, but three CDs' worth of music - much more helpful to any casual visitor to this site...

The very reason why I found this an impossible task ;D  (I am still trying to whittle it down to three ;D)