Ole Olsen Symphony on Sterling

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 19 December 2009, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Jpc in Germany are announcing a January (4th) release date for Ole Olsen's Symphony in G major of 1878, Op.5. The performers are the Latvian National SO under Terje Mikkelsen, as on the CD of Alnaes symphonies. As this is a wonderful orchestra, we can expect another hit from Sterling! Happy New Year, Bo!

Marcus

Hello Alan,
Is Ole Olsson related to Otto Olsson whose Symphony in G minor Op11 is recorded by Sterling ? (CDS 1020-2)
On the subject of Scandanavian music, do you know if the Symphony (1861-62) of Norwegian composer Otto Winter-Hjelm (1837-1931) has ever been recorded ?
This symphony precedes the symphonies of Svendsen. Also the two symphonies of Catharinus Elling.(1858-1942) ?
Thank you.

Alan Howe

The two composers' names are spelt differently: Ole Olsen and Otto Olsson.

I have a cassette transfer of Winter-Hjelm's 2nd Symphony of 1863, so it must have been on LP at some time (Bergen PO/Kjell Ingebretsen).

I have Elling's VC and String Quartet on CD, but nothing else of his.

Syrelius

Quote from: Marcus on Saturday 19 December 2009, 13:10
Hello Alan,
Is Ole Olsson related to Otto Olsson whose Symphony in G minor Op11 is recorded by Sterling ? (CDS 1020-2)
On the subject of Scandanavian music, do you know if the Symphony (1861-62) of Norwegian composer Otto Winter-Hjelm (1837-1931) has ever been recorded ?
This symphony precedes the symphonies of Svendsen. Also the two symphonies of Catharinus Elling.(1858-1942) ?
Thank you.
As I understand it, only Winter-Hjelms 2nd symphony has been recorded. It's on an Lp from the 1980:ies, sponsored by the Norwegian Council of Culture.

Otto Olsson was an organist in Stockholm. He mainly wrote church music and organ works, but also some chamber music, a symphony and a piece for piano and orchestra. The last two have been recorded by Sterling. The symphony is a youthful work, a bit overambitious, but with many qualities. The slow movement is especially beautiful, with a sort of never-ending theme.

It is a bit sad that Sterling chose to record the suite for string orchestra, since it's already available on a CD from another small Swedish label, Intim Musik. Still, it's a most welcome release!

Mark Thomas

I understand that the couplings of the latest Olsson CD were influenced by a Norwegian arts foundation which provided some financial support to Sterling for the project.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Dunno the Latin for 'no problem'; nor the Swedish... ;)

Alan Howe

This turns out to be a thoroughly likeable, tuneful, well-orchestrated symphony, very well played by the Latvian NSO and excellently recorded. No, it's not a forgotten masterpiece, but it throws a fascinating light on the development of the symphony in Scandinavia in the 1870s. The high point of the work is undoubtedly the slow movement, which sounds almost like an operatic intermezzo in places - very beautiful indeed.

Mark Thomas

Whilst the Symphony is attractive, if not ground-breaking, and the symphonic poem Asgaardsreien is colourfully dramatic, for me the work on the CD which has real individuality is the late Suite for Strings. It's certainly charming, but some of its seven short movements also hint at hidden depths in the same way that a few of Grieg's best works do.

Syrelius

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 14 January 2010, 17:46
This turns out to be a thoroughly likeable, tuneful, well-orchestrated symphony, very well played by the Latvian NSO and excellently recorded. No, it's not a forgotten masterpiece, but it throws a fascinating light on the development of the symphony in Scandinavia in the 1870s. The high point of the work is undoubtedly the slow movement, which sounds almost like an operatic intermezzo in places - very beautiful indeed.
Finally the Olsen CD has arrived, and I can only say that I fully agree with the analyses of Alan and Mark. Apparently, there is also a CD coming up within the next months with symphonies by fellow Norwegian composer Johannes Haarklou from the same forces. Something to look forward to!  :)
By the way, if you like the Alnaes and Olsen CD:s, you might also want to try Sigurd Lie's symphony. It´s on a CD from a small Norwegian label named 2L.

petershott@btinternet.com

And just to add to the mayhem, neither Ole or Otto is to be confused with Poul Olsen - a Danish composer who died in 1982, and who wrote a short 'interesting' (i.e. make up your own minds) opera 'Belisa', after the play by Lorca.

Incidentally a thumbs up for Otto Olsson who has a rather fine and beautiful Requiem written just after the symphony in 1901. A good recording exists on Proprius.

Any more Olsens or Olssons? As one of my more ignominious students once memorably put it, "All these continental johnnies sound pretty much alike".

JimL

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
HaHaHaHaHaHoHoHoHoHeeHeeHeeHee!!!!!!!!!

Pengelli

So that's what he was doing before 'Hellzapoppin'?