News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jean Cras

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 15 December 2009, 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I have recently ordered (but not yet received) a few CDs of music by Jean Cras and wondered if anyone had any opinions about him...

wunderkind

A wonderful, romantic composer was Cras.  His chief occupation was as a Naval officer and so much of his music is redolent of the seas.  I like his chamber works best - and particularly the Piano Quintet and String Quartet.  He, and Guy Ropartz, for me are two of the foremost (unsung) French composers of the past century or so.  Each of them appear to have mastered the smaller forms better - even though Ropartz did turn out some beautiful symphonies, and Cras, inter alia, a lush piano concerto.  But for the real personal side of Cras one needs to hear the ensemble pieces.

I think you'll not be disappointed whichever of Cras' compositions you ordered.

Alan Howe

I've ordered the double-CD of his orchestral music, PC included, plus his Piano Quintet, String Quartet, Cello Sonata, etc.(I have Polyphème).

Funny you should mention Ropartz: I decided to go for him too: String Quartet 1, Piano Trio, plus his opera Le Pays (I have the symphonies). Have I missed something (e.g. the later string quartets)?

wunderkind

Re Cras:  that's a beautifully representative batch of his works.  I am betting you will want to hear more of Cras' music after you get through those.

As for Ropartz - I think the first String Quartet is the best of the lot.  There are, however, five additional ones which, while not possessing the breadth of the First, need to be heard.  So, in that respect you are "missing something" vis-a-vis the other String Quartets although the First is the choice if you're only going to have one SQ.

Don't discount Ropartz' excellent symphonies (five of them) - the Third, out of print but I believe otherwise available at Amazon, etc., is a glorious masterpiece of choral/orchestral power.  It is Ropartz' paean to nature and it is a crime that this symphony is so obscure.  Michel Plasson recorded it for EMI.  Timpani, who have cornered the Ropartz market recently with a slew of discs, never got to the Third - maybe because of the forces necessary to bring it off.

Pengelli

It's about time someone did some really first rate recordings of the unjustly neglected Tournemire symphonies. I have all eight,including the Auvidis Valois cds.

Amphissa

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 16 December 2009, 08:05
I've ordered the double-CD of his orchestral music, PC included ....

Could you point me to this double CD? I would be interested in hearing his music.

Pengelli

The sixth,I believe,is a masterpiece. A massive work for tenor,choir and orchestra,full of wonderful,awe inspiring sonorities & breathtaking effects.
The Seventh is also on a colossal scale.,and like Havergal Brian's 'Gothic Symphony'needs another cd to accomodate it. Yet Tournemire,like Brian,or Mahler always knows how to use his outsize forces with precision & economy.
I also love his 3rd & 8th,which are also the product of an extroadinary imagination;but they are all so fascinating.

Pengelli

Re: Ropartz. I have all his symphonies except the 3rd,which is,as you say,is out of print,and the prices sellers ask are always pretty horrendous.Maybe I can download it somewhere?

Alan Howe

wunderkind

Quote from: Pengelli on Wednesday 16 December 2009, 23:50
Re: Ropartz. I have all his symphonies except the 3rd,which is,as you say,is out of print,and the prices sellers ask are always pretty horrendous.Maybe I can download it somewhere?

There are some used copies at Amazon - prices seem to be somewhat less than horrendous.  Here:  http://tinyurl.com/ycdupcl

Pengelli

Which is a good thing,because I don't want to have spell horrendous again when I'm that tired.Still seems steep to this pauper,though;but not as bad as vertiginous as the last time I looked.Hopefully,emi will get around to re-releasing it,along with the following,off topic,recordings:
Delius Mass of Life Groves
V-W Hugh the Drover

Pengelli

On second thoughts,I'll flog the rabbit's hutch & buy it with that.

FBerwald

Jean Cras' Piano concerto is very very beautiful  with typically French quick-silver melodic twists!