Uplifting 20th/21st century works

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 01 May 2012, 22:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

There are no doubt all sorts of works which have the effect of lifting one's mood on account of the sheer joy that they seem to exude. One such for me is Lars-Erik Larsson's 1st Symphony. No doubt very conservative-sounding even when it was written in 1927-8, it just leaps out of the speakers and clasps you in its post-Sibelian embrace.

Do forum members experience other pieces of post-1900 music in this particular way? If so, which ones?

fr8nks

I think the Takashi Yoshimatsu Fifth Symphony is uplifting. The opening bars of the 4th movement are a hint as to what is going to follow and the ending is glorious.

The 4th movement of Imants Kalnins 5th Symphony (in the Latvian downloads) was intended to be a ray of hope for the Russian dominated people of Latvia.

petershott@btinternet.com

I somehow doubt if many others will agree, but the moment I read Alan's question what immediately sprang up in my mind were the final pages of Michael Tippett's 'Midsummer Marriage'. Strange, I haven't listened to it for a couple of years. But it is one of those pieces of music where I am utterly incapable of remaining in my chair.

I'm now - with imagination whirring away - trying to summon up a picture of Alan being clasped in a post-Sibelian embrace by Larsson's 1st Symphony as it leaps from the speakers! The mind boggles!

Alan Howe

You see what poetic flight of fancy the Larsson inspired in me....
Pretentious, moi?  ;)

MikeW

Since Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue entranced and uplifted me from the time I pulled it out my father's stereogram around age 4, I'd be remiss to put it anywhere but in first place.

More recently

• Ross Edwards: Maninyas (violin concerto)
  • Zdenek Lukas: various choral music
  • Arvo Pärt: several pieces
  • Rachmaninov: Vespers
  • Dawid Kusz: Piesn o nadziei
  • Lauridsen: O Magnum Mysterium which I first encountered live in a Mexican hall, the only (accidental) audience

I'm actually struck by the amount of choral music I've listed, which is not music I seek out. The composers listed indicate I have a slavic soul that needs uplifting.  :D

semloh

Quote from: MikeW on Wednesday 02 May 2012, 19:01
Since Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue entranced and uplifted me from the time I pulled it out my father's stereogram around age 4, I'd be remiss to put it anywhere but in first place.

More recently

• Ross Edwards: Maninyas (violin concerto)
  • Zdenek Lukas: various choral music
  • Arvo Pärt: several pieces
  • Rachmaninov: Vespers
  • Dawid Kusz: Piesn o nadziei
  • Lauridsen: O Magnum Mysterium which I first encountered live in a Mexican hall, the only (accidental) audience

I'm actually struck by the amount of choral music I've listed, which is not music I seek out. The composers listed indicate I have a slavic soul that needs uplifting.  :D

How marvellous to see a Ross Edwards composition here! Maninyas is an irresistible celebration of life which I would have as my number one "uplifter". Although not by an Unsung, my next choice would be American in Paris - it's just so full of joie de vivre - it surely brightens the most miserable day!  :)

allison

Leroy Anderson Piano Concerto, upbeat and fulfilling all the way through
Tatiana Sergeyeva Piano Concerto No. 3, Delightfully off the wall.

zootweek

The Israeli composer, Gil Shohat, comes to mind. Brilliant, uplifting compositions can be heard in their entirety at his website:

www.gilshohat.com

Truly Neo-romantic in style and scope. An extraordinary Viola Concerto that took my breath away and a gorgeous Cello Concerto are a few examples you must hear. Well worth checking out. Enjoy

alberto

Moncayo Huapango
Galindo Sones de Mariachi
John Adams Fearful Symmetries
Martinu Symphony n.4

anssik

Two uplifting works that readily come to mind are Joonas Kokkonen's Cello Concerto (1969) and Vagn Holmboe's Symphony no. 1 (1935)

Jimfin

Anything by George Lloyd, particularly the fourth and fifth symphonies

John H White

As I assume that Mahler, Sibelius, Vaughan Williams and Walton are "out of bounds" in this context, I think I would go for William Hurlstone's Piano Trio, but I'm sure there are lots of other 20th works I have found impressive. Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony and Malcolm Arnold's 2nd symphony now spring to mind , as do a number of joyful works by Don Gillis. This just goes to show that the "Romantic Muse " has at least survived the 20th Century.

John H White

By the way, I think we should all be grateful to the Albany Records Company for championing the works of Gillis, Lloyd and other 20th Century unsungs.

MikeW

Rutland Boughton's Symphony No.3 and Oboe Concerto (yes, that Hyperion disc)

I'm a little bothered that as a piano geek, I can't really think of any piano works in the classical fold from this time period. Some Debussy and Medtner works are borderline, but I can't bring myself to say they're uplifting.

EDIT: I think I'd have to cite a bunch of Cuban composers like Lecuona, Saumell Robredo, Cervantes.. to stir the blood in a rousing fashion.

saxtromba

In some ways any piece, no matter how grim or dissonant, is uplifting, in that it represents an act of hope in a world which seems to value greed, destruction, and death so much more than the arts or any other civilized values.  So it is that I find Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, written in a P.O.W. camp, uplifting despite not sharing his own religious faith.

At the same time, though, there are definitely pieces which, while not necessarily 'happy', are more conducive to post-listening optimism than  others.  Someone already mentioned Martinu; I agree heartily, and would add his second symphony and sixth string quartet in particular.  Also the Nonet, written while he was dying of cancer, but which shows no sign of exhaustion, musically, emotionally, or physically; there are momemts of absolutely poignant beauty, as well as Martinu's trademark energy.