News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

York Bowen

Started by edurban, Sunday 27 December 2009, 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

A search of the forum reveals the odd mention of this wonderful composer, but nothing comparable to his merits.  His dates (1884-1961) give no hint of the utter distain with which he ignored Modernist trends in the century where he lived most of his life.  His early successes where in the days of High Romanticism, that's where his heart lay, and he stuck to his guns through years of neglect.

I've only begun to delve into Bowen's large worklist, but I can heartily recommend the viola concerto, Hough's disc of the piano music (mentioned on this list) and the Dutton disc combining the violin concerto and 1st piano concerto.  The violin concerto is a big work from 1913 and will surely appeal to anyone who liked the Coleridge Taylor concerto.  On the same disc, the volcanic 1st piano concerto (written for his own use when he was 19) has every Romantic trick in the book, combined with imagination and plenty of good tunes.  Like Saint-Saens 2 and Scharwenka 1, all the movements are fast. 

Still ahead of me are the recent Hyperion release of 2 more piano concertos, the complete (six) piano sonatas, a horn concerto, Dutton's disc of piano concertos (different coupling from the Hyperion) and lots of chamber music.  A few years ago none of this was available on disc, now there's a small flood.  Not very British sounding, but well worth investigating.

David

thalbergmad

I must admit that 3 years ago I had not even heard of him, but the works that I have now heard would indicate to me that he is more than worthy of our attention.

He sometimes carries the tag of the "English Rachmaninoff" and listening to his PC's, I can sort of see where this is coming from. They seem to have an overall Russian feel to them. The Hyperion release of PC's 3 & 4 is a must have really and a good starting point for those that have not yet sampled his works.

For the Pianists amongst us, Weinberger has now published a 2 piano score of the 4th Concerto and one wonders why they did this some time after the recording was released.

Thal

FBerwald

The Piano concerto no. 4 is interesting in the fact that its very unlike the earlier 3. I still cant decide if i'm astonished or amused by it!!! In a nutshell its not an eazy work!!! I do love no 3. 

JimL

Quote from: edurban on Sunday 27 December 2009, 16:32Like Saint-Saens 2 and Scharwenka 1, all the movements are fast.
'Scuse me?  The first movement of Saint-Saens 2 is marked "Andante sostenuto".  That's a slow movement in my book.

edurban

The Bach-like intro, measured tempo and the big pounding orchestra chords of the opening movement of Saint-Saens 2 do not it a slow movement make.

David

JimL

Why not?  The movement is in essentially in a ternary (ABA, usually associated with slow movements) form, with all of the principal themes in a slow tempo.  And those crashing orchestral chords certainly aren't moving at a fast pace, nor is the opening toccata passage. 

Mark Thomas

Does it matter what it's called? It is what it is...

Steven Eldredge

I wonder if you are thinking of Stephen Hough's Hyperion disc of Bowen, rather than Hamelin, who has not recorded any Bowen to my knowledge. Also quite nice is the new Hyperion disc of the Piano Sonatas played by Danny Driver. Indeed quite beautiful music!

Steven

edurban

Sorry, Stephen, of course it's Hough, not Hamelin.

Also, I see that Chandos intends to record the first 2 symphonies with Rumon Gamba.  The late Vernon Handley was the original choice...

Also, our local NYC classical station WQXR, has given Bowen heavy airplay this month...go figure!

David

Amphissa

I've enjoyed the piano concertos 1-3 by Dussek and the Violin Concerto  (with Handley and the BBC Philharmonic). I keep meaning to pick up the Viola Concerto, but have not yet decided whether to go with the Lederer or the Power recordings, as the couplings are different attractions altogether.

edurban

I've only heard Lawrence Power's version of the Viola Concerto, which is the one I have.  Marvelous playing from soloist and orchestra.  And overall, probably my favorite Bowen, at least at the moment: love those heroic tuttis in I. and the great tunes in II.  Tertis must have been a whale of a player.

The coupling, the Cecil Forsyth concerto, is not (IMO) in the same league, but it's a worthy and certainly interesting piece.  It was also the only encounter I expect to have with the creative side of the author of my college orchestration textbook!

Happy New Year & new discoveries!

David

christopherfifield

I shall conduct Bowen's viola concerto with my Lambeth Orchestra on Saturday 3 July 2010 at 7.30pm at All Saints Church, West Dulwich, London SE21. Our soloist is Paul Silverthorne, leader of the LO violas and a renowned soloist.

Do come if you live near enough!

All best

Christopher Fifield

christopherfifield

Sorry a typo in mine posted at 19.14, Paul Silverthorne is leader of the  LSO violas, so it should read:

I shall conduct Bowen's viola concerto with my Lambeth Orchestra on Saturday 3 July 2010 at 7.30pm at All Saints Church, West Dulwich, London SE21. Our soloist is Paul Silverthorne, leader of the LSO violas and a renowned soloist.

Do come if you live near enough!

All best

Christopher Fifield

edurban

We're too far away to come, but we wish you the greatest success.  Btw, would you care to give us your feelings about the concerto?

David in far-off New York City

Steven Eldredge

I have been listening with immense pleasure to Danny Driver's splendid new Hyperion recording of the Bowen Piano Sonatas. What beautiful, emotionally expansive, pianistically lush works. The only one I had heard previously was #5, recorded by Stephen Hough, and played by him at Alice Tully Hall one memorable time. Driver is a wonderful pianist; lots of color, elan, and a fine ear for texture. I can recommend this set highly. Music well worth hearing. According to his website, Mr Driver is to record some piano music by Balakirev for Hyperion later this year. That should be a good disc.

Steven in NYC