News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Daniel Asia(1953-)

Started by Dundonnell, Tuesday 03 April 2012, 16:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Can anyone enlighten me about the music of the American composer Daniel Asia ???

He appears to have written five symphonies-all of which have been recorded-and from the extracts on his website he writes in an accessible, lyrical idiom.
He is not a composer I had come across before and I wonder if he is worth further investigation ???

Latvian

An excellent composer -- colorful. dramatic, lyrical. Very much worth investigating!

Dundonnell

Right :)

I have ordered the New World disc with Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 ;D

petershott@btinternet.com

If you find those two symphonies satisfying you could also try a Summit disc (DCD285) with James Sedares conducting the New Zealand SO in performances of Black Light (1990), Gateways (1993), and the Piano Concerto (1994).

Asia also has some rather good chamber music. Argh, so much to explore. But then wouldn't life be dreary if that was not the case!

mbhaub

Dang, I hate to be the contrarian, but despite Daniel Asia's talents, his symphonies leave me cold. And trust me, I've heard it all - live - usually in world premieres. He lives and teaches at the University of Arizona just 90 minutes down state and I've been to many concerts at UA when it's been played. James Sedares used to be music director of the Phoenix Symphony where we heard several of the symphonies. Not to say that Asia doesn't have something to say in his music; it just doesn't connect with me at all. It's not exactly academic, but he's lucky to be teaching because he couldn't support himself composing. But then, who can? other than Eric Whitacre and a few others. However, Asia does have a great sense of humor. For the UA centennial he did a tremendous job of arranging the school song, Bear Down (written by the late Jack Lee), for orchestra that is one of the most amazing, and hysterically funny orchestrations you can imagine.

Mark Thomas

Quoteone of the most amazing, and hysterically funny orchestrations you can imagine.
Intentionally so, Martin?

JimL

Why is the Arizona song Bear Down if they're the Wildcats?

Dundonnell

Must say that i am enjoying the Daniel Asia 2nd and 3rd symphonies :)

As has been said, colourful and dramatic music. Not necessarily in the top flight of American composers but a worthy, accessible, likeable composer :)

Miles R.

Having known the father and the sister of Daniel Asia (though not the man himself) when I lived in Seattle, I feel that I should get to know something of his music. His Second Symphony and Third Symphony can be found on YouTube.