The Van Eijken Brothers Johan Albert (1823-1868) and Gerrit Jan (1832-1879)

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 05 May 2012, 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Completely but so unjustified forgotten talented brothers, born in a musical family in the Dutch old city of Amersfoort. Johan Albert, or Johannes Albertus, went in 1843 to Leipzig where he took lessons from Mendelssohn. He composed many organ works and introduced Bach's works in the Netherlands. The only work I know is his delightful Sonata for Violin and Piano, op. 18 (ca. 1857), with its utterly fresh and Mendelssohnian scherzo (Dutch Violin Sonatas on NM Classics).
Gerrit Jan, who also studied in Leipzig, was more successful than his brother in his days, but after some time he lacked recognition as a composer. He was gifted as a song composer. In 1850 he wrote two Sonatines for piano, op. 3. The 1st in F major can be found on the CD Piano Music of the Netherlands from Koch Schwann.

Anyone ever heard of these composers?

Simon

I've heard Johan Albert's Op. 18, it was broadcasted on a dutch radio and can still be heard right here : http://deklassieken.radio4.nl/uitzending/3068/de-klassieken.html

It's fairly mendelssohnian indeed, and I enjoyed it ( actually, I'm quite interested in mendelssohnian music these days, by Mendelssohn or others). I've seen some bios of Johan Albert and I've heard some short excerpts of other music (was it Lucifer??? Can't remember quite well, but I was not convinced so much). It would be nice to hear something else.

I see that Gerrit Jan's Violin sonata is available on YouTube as well. Closer to Schumann IMHO.

jerfilm

Is it safe to assume that the YouTube sonata at about 6 minutes only represents one movement of the sonata?   And the rest of it is not there??

Jerry

Peter1953

According to the Nederlands Muziek Instituut this performed work for violin and piano, which can be seen and heard on Youtube and was broadcast in the Netherlands on 26 September 2010, is the first movement of a Sonata for Violin and Piano in F minor, op. 5 (1852). Unfortunately a manuscript of the full score is unknown. 
A real pity, this work looks to me as a musical treasure of this forgotten composer.

jerfilm

Simon

From what I can understand from the National Library of Netherlands website, Gerrit Jan's Sonata is in 3 movements : Allegro agitato, Andante, Moderato. They have what seems to be the first edition by Th. J. Roothaan, as well as a modern edition by the Nederlands Muziek Instituut http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/en/publications/sheet-music/765-eijken-gj-van-sonate-in-f-klein-voor-piano-en-viool-opus-5-1852

mikehopf

I've got a Lucifer Overture by Van Eijken ( JA or GJ?) if anyone wants it

mikehopf

Actually, you can download both the Lucifer Overture  and the Groot Feest Marsch ( both by JA) direct from Concertzender.

Mark Thomas

The direct audio stream for the Lucifer Overture is here. It begins around 33 minutes in and it sounds a solid, if maybe at first hearing unimaginative, piece. I can't find the Groot Feest Marsch anywhere though. Can you help Mike?

mikehopf

Mark, go to Zoek ( Search) and type " Van Eijken ". The Feb 2009 entry is still valid and the programme contains many other rare delights.

Mark Thomas

That was quick! Thanks, Mike. It's the first item here and is for piano four hands.

Mark Thomas

Just to round things out, I've uploaded Johan Albert's Lucifer Overture and it's now available here in the Dutch Music thread in the Downloads board.