News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Marschner's Der Vampyr

Started by Robin, Wednesday 03 September 2014, 23:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

I am very interested in this opera, and have recently acquired a 19th century vocal score which seems a much more sensible thing than the Pfitzner edition published in [1926?]. But I have searched for many months - in vain - for a pre-Pfitzner full score. Does such a thing exist? I assume it must have been printed, as it was a popular opera. Does anyone know of a copy in a library anywhere? Or perhaps a set of parts in an orchestra or theatre library or archive? It is no longer listed in publishers' catalogues, and seems even to have physically disappeared from publishers' Archives!

Surely the world can't be Vampyr-less?

With bared neck I await an onslaught of information!

Cheers
Robin

Mark Thomas

Hello Robin. A quick scan of WorldCat reveals plenty of vocal scores in libraries, but no full score, and Hofmeister XIX doesn't list one being published. It was actually quite rare for full scores of operas to be published, but like you I'm surprised that something as popular as Der Vampyr doesn't seem to have been. Sorry that I can't help.

pcc

There is a three-volume copyist's full score and 54 part books at the  Hochschule für Musik Franz Liszt, Hochschularchiv in Weimar, provenance of the Weimar Court Theatre. It's quite early: they claim it was copied in 1829, and there are musicians' markings in the parts from various dates throughout the century, such as an 1839 date in a trombone part, so it's definitely pre-Pfitzner. The full holdings entry can be found in RISM.

Alan Howe

I trust you are truly fang-ful for the information, Robin... ;)

Mark Thomas

Ouch! Fangs a lot for that, Alan.

Robin, I have a contact at the Weimar Musik Hochschule Archive, so let me know (email or PM) if you need help there.