Northern Flowers' series - "Wartime Music"

Started by wunderkind, Monday 04 January 2010, 21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Mosolov: The symphony on the Northern Flowers CD seems to be the 1944 symphony in E, which is from a period, if I am not mistaken, in which Mosolov had mellowed (for political reasons, such as having been sent to the labor camps - rescued after awhile by his teachers, fortunately - and possibly others.) I doubt it is anything like his Iron Foundry in sound...

wunderkind

Well argued - even with the far-fetched analogy of the aubergines - and lots of words; however, for me, mostly upscale hogwash and unconvincing in the end.

You are holding forth about the "rational" person.  Who is that?  Who determines if an individual is "rational" or not?  That, in itself, becomes a subjective - indefinite - issue.  And it, therefore, undermines the whole thesis.

I do not like the music of, say, Stockhausen, Babbitt - and, yes, some of Mosolov.  But I do know lots of folks who listen and, apparently, enjoy. Does that make them irrational?

And that person who tells you that Brahms is "mere piffle" - is he not rational?  Aesthetic claims are just that - explanations of how a certain sound, smell, taste, sight affects oneself.  No one - not even our erudite petershott@btinternet.com (which handle, by the way, aesthetically could be improved  ;)) - can dictate how another receives the "message." 

And, if you're down at the local, you might be discussing - between belches, that is - the particular attributes of your favorite football player - how he advances the ball, distributes it across the pitch, and so on.  Besides the statistics (the objective part) of his career, there are his "intangibles," those things for which the team is paying him his hefty income. 

Well, I contend that the intangibles in music - those aspects which appeal to the emotions - are not simply the province of the rational man, but are indefinable except as they affect each and every one of us in our own way.  And so, I'll continue, thank you, to make my judgments solely on the impact that the notes have on yours truly.  And the way that the striking colors of a Miro painting do; and how I am moved by the brilliant prose of Mark Helprin and, indeed, on how that lowly aubergine tastes.

You'll need a lantern to guide you along your search for the rational man.  And when you find him don't be surprised if he's listening to Mosolov!    ::)

eschiss1

When you have a composer with as variable in style an output as I gather Mosolov had, or Roslavets, or Stravinsky (most notably), etc., to "like X" begins to lose some content anyway... or it should.

JollyRoger

OK..Mossolov wrote the "Iron Foundry" to honor the unholy state, but what else have you heard by this composer? Apparently the producers think it is music that should be heard and there is another way he may be remembered. I am very interested in hearing more.
Lofty rhetoric aside, please let the rest of us know why you flamed out with a "Mossolov "cockail" after telling the rest of us the value of this forum.
And yes, I know it's Molotov.
:(

wunderkind

Well, I for one, have only two works by Mosolov - his Cello Concerto and and Elegiac Poem for Cello & Orchestra.  These are interesting pieces and eminently listenable.  Not anything like his (in)famous Iron Foundry.  There is another side to Mosolov, indeed.

And I am looking forward to getting hold of the Symphony disc.

eschiss1

Re Mosolov again (sorry!) : the works on the disk are the cello concerto no. 2 from 1937-5 and the symphony in E from 1944 (http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//NFPMA9978.htm ).
I'm also glad to see so much Myaskovsky in the series and hope the performances compare favorably to others that exist of the same works. Perhaps they'll take the opportunity of a future release to record "Kirov is with us", another wartime Myaskovsky work- probably requires considerable outlay though.
(I also hope a future release will contain something along the lines of Evgeny Golubev's symphony no. 3 of 1942 (rev. 1974), say, and/or the piano concerto no. 1 of 1944 (once recorded by V. Bunin apparently); one can always dream. I would say symphony 5 but its 1960 date is well outside of the Wartime Music's considerations. Though a new recording of that work, or even a reissue, would be welcome anyway.)
Eric

wunderkind

It appears that the most recent addition to the Wartime Music series is Volume 11 - composer Yuri Kochurov.  A new name to me; I've heard nothing by this composer.

Anyone have this disc?

eschiss1

Quote from: wunderkind on Friday 12 March 2010, 13:41
It appears that the most recent addition to the Wartime Music series is Volume 11 - composer Yuri Kochurov.  A new name to me; I've heard nothing by this composer.

It seems Maria Yudina played an Adagio of his (full name: Yury Vladimirovich Kochurov) from about 1956 (available on a CD or CD set of her performances, I think), and that he wrote music for film (as did many other Soviet composers). I don't know if he is still alive (yeah or nay). His name (these may all be different Yuri Kochurovs, of course) also appears as the editor/restorer in 1946 of Tchaikovsky's Voyevoda whose score was destroyed in an opera-house fire? (Google-books  "A Shostakovich Casebook" footnote mention.)  All tangential to the "Macbeth Symphony" that I think is on this latest CD, or to giving his year of birth (besides probably before 1936 and probably earlier).

Worldcat gives the date of publication of the Kochurov Macbeth symphony as 1962.

eschiss1

Belated "reply" - there's now a new release in this series announced on MDT, with works by Lev Knipper (violin concerto no. 1 and symphony no. 8, apparently from 1943 and 1942.) I only know a couple of works by Knipper (a piano trio and the symphony no. 4, maybe another.)
Eric