Problem with Mediafire

Started by fr8nks, Friday 11 May 2012, 14:59

Previous topic - Next topic

suffolkcoastal

Well I've tried it on firefox and though I can reach the download stage, nothing happens when I try and download, it just endlessly opens up a new window or times out after 10 seconds. So there is nothing more I can do, I've just tried through my partner's high powered laptop with the same result. There IS clearly a problem with mediafire.com in parts of the UK.  I would strongly suggest that a different storage site is used for the UK. For the moment its looks like unsung composers is no longer of any help to me and this has sadly ruined my weekend as there are many works I wish to hear and many others I wish to upload for others to hear.

PJ

There is a problem with mediafire in at least two parts of the UK. I am wondering currently whether mediafire is being blocked by BT.

I can't even download my own files.

Tried:

switching off firewall temporarily
used Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera

JDownloader tells me my plugins are out of date, but that's their generic excuse.

PJ

Error message:

"504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time."

I have sent a ticket to mediafire and hope to get a reply tomorrow or Tuesday.

Is it really only suffolkcoastal and I who have this download problem in the UK?

suffolkcoastal

You may be right about BT blocking mediafire.  BT are I understand fairly aggressive about blocking sites, neither my partner or I use BT as an internet supplier, but as they 'own the lines' I suppose this still may have cause the loss of accessibility in parts of the UK.

PJ

Depending on mediafire's response, I'll contact BT.

Mediafire offers cloud storage for one's personal files -  I would be able to send files there, but not retrieve them which does defeat the aim of the process.

Mark Thomas

QuoteMark,

I've not been able to download your last few very interesting German/Austrian uploads.  My PC says there are "...too many re-directs"!.
Sorry Richard, I've not changed a thing. When you say that "your PC says there are '...too many re-directs'", which program is giving you this warning? Is it the MediaFire page, your web browser, your Windows or Mac operating system? At what stage does this message occur: as soon as you click on the link? Might it be because I now upload everything in one Zip file and your browser/operating system is trying to unpack the Zip file, or have you been able to download some of my earlier Zips?

PJ

Quote from: PJ on Sunday 10 June 2012, 17:09
Depending on mediafire's response, I'll contact BT.

Mediafire offers cloud storage for one's personal files -  I would be able to send files there, but not retrieve them which does defeat the aim of the process.

Meanwhile, I've had confirmation from the US and Russia that mediafire is functioning perfectly there so it may well be just a UK problem where access to the server has a problem or is being blocked deliberately.

@MarkThomas - clicking on "download" tries to send the message to mediafire's servers, doesn't get through, and goes round in a loop.

albion

Quote from: PJ on Sunday 10 June 2012, 17:09Depending on mediafire's response, I'll contact BT.

It is clearly no immediate consolation whatsoever to those members affected, but here in Nottingham, via Virgin Media, there does not seem to be a problem downloading. This clearly suggests that the issue is one that can be addressed by approaching the service provider (if BT is indeed the culprit) and suggesting in the strongest possible terms that they investigate and resolve as a matter of urgency.

Richard Moss

Mark,

I've re-checked and still have the same problem with both Google Chrome (my normal browser) and IE.

A moment ago, I successfully got the Mediafire download page for 3 very recent items under Austrian Composers:

1.Felix von Weingartner (1863 - 1942) - Die Dorfschule Oper in einem Akt nach dem altjapanischen Drama Terakoya op. 62

2.Sigmund von HAUSEGGER  (1872-1948) - Symphonic Poem in three movements: Barbarossa (1898/99) et al

3. Franz SCHUBERT (1797-1828) - Symphony in D D.708a (1820/1 - completed by Brian Newbould).

However,, when I've tried to get the Mediafire download page with your ownmost recent posts (Franz Paul LACHNER , Wilhelm KIENZL   and Mathilde KRALIK VON MEYRSWALDEN), I get firstly an 'uploading' status then, after perhaps 10-20 seconds, the following text:

"This web page has a redirect loop
The web page at http://199.91.153.99/dzidize3h3yg/q482zl77i24921c/Symphonic+Variations+on+the+Strassburglied.zip has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload this web page later.

Learn more about this problem.
Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects."
-----------------------

I'm not overly 'tecchie' so I'm not sure what else I can do.  I've tried this several times , always with the same result.

Other downloads since your posts - e.g. Evgeny Stankovych (b. 1942) - Sinfonia Larga (Symphony No.1 for 15 strings) (1973) still let me get to the Mediafire download page. 

My ISP is BT; my PC is VISTA; my brandy is handy!!

Best wishes

Richard

Alan Howe

I'm getting the 'redirect loop' message too. I use Google Chrome...

Mark Thomas

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is but I do find that sometimes in the last couple of weeks I've had difficulty in accessing my own MediaFire account page and have to try several times before I can bring it up. Possibly that's a symptom of the same problem. I'll talk to MediaFire and see what they come up with.

Obviously I'm sorry that you're having this problem and I won't put up any more posts until we get it resolved.

Dundonnell

Equally, it is absolutely no consolation to those members who are experiencing such horrendous problems but I have just downloaded six new files using Mediafire as normal without any dfficulty.

I am in Scotland and Virgin Media are my service providers. This does suggest that it is less a Mediafire issue than the Service Provider ???

Were I to be having the problems which others are facing I would be as annoyed and exasperated as they clearly are :( Please don't give up on us though....there MUST be a way out of this :o

Mark Thomas

I've contacted MediaFire now and we'll see what they come up with. As I have said on many previous instances, there is  no obligation on us to use MediaFire and there are lots of other file sharing platforms out there. It's benefit is that it is user friendly and doesn't impose restrictions on downloading, particularly if you shell out for a professional account. If members upload to another service which doesn't restrict downloads in any way then that would be a perfectly acceptable alternative.

suffolkcoastal

It seems to be a regional problem in the UK. I've been at my parents house and it is working ok. They use TalkTalk for both internet and telephone, so it looks as if the problem is regional/network provider.

Alan Howe

Just to report: the problem seems to be pretty random, i.e. I can access some downloads at Mediafire, but not others. Curious...