Friedrich Witt - a revolutionary?

Started by Syrelius, Monday 18 October 2010, 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrelius

A while ago, Naxos released an excellent disc with music by Friedrich Witt. The CD contains a flute concerto, the so called Jena Symphony (once falsely attributed to Beethoven), and a charming little symphony in A minor. If I'm not mistaken, the Finale is in part based on a French revolutionary song (Ca ira?). Does any member know if this is a political statement from Witt or if he perhaps was just hoping for a career in Paris (pre-Napoleon)?

John H White

I'm glad you enjoyed that CD Syrelius. Did you find out about it from my thread on it started back in July? If not, you'll find more about the Witt symphonies from other forum contributors with a wider knowledge than myself. So far, nobody has said any more about that French revolutionary tune however. ;D

Syrelius

Quote from: John H White on Monday 18 October 2010, 20:20
I'm glad you enjoyed that CD Syrelius. Did you find out about it from my thread on it started back in July? If not, you'll find more about the Witt symphonies from other forum contributors with a wider knowledge than myself. So far, nobody has said any more about that French revolutionary tune however. ;D
Hello John,

I had actually forgotten about your thread when I started the new one. I wasn't reminded of it until another member wrote a reply on that thread, just a few hours after I started the new one.
Anyhow, it seems that the political views of mr Witt will remain a mystery. ;)

John H White

Let's not worry too much about Witt's political views, enjoy the music and look forward to further installments of his symphonic output, as indicated by other forum members. After all, if we always took into account the views of the composer on other subjects, many of us would never go any where near composers like Wagner! :)

eschiss1

Quote from: John H White on Wednesday 20 October 2010, 15:05
Let's not worry too much about Witt's political views, enjoy the music and look forward to further installments of his symphonic output, as indicated by other forum members. After all, if we always took into account the views of the composer on other subjects, many of us would never go any where near composers like Wagner! :)
and many of us never do (well, musically, for better reason) go near composers like Trapp, Graener, perhaps Kurt Hessenberg, ...
(for myself I am curious about what they produced and would like to hear it. By Hessenberg I've already heard part of his cello sonata in C and a string quartet (#4 op.60 in 3 movements in E minor), and I think? his string trio from LP- not yet the 2nd symphony- and hope to hear more.  Inventive, "stroppy"- if I understand that word- sort of Hindemithian stuff in the (faster parts of :) the) quartet, somewhat different in the cello sonata and from what I skimmed but didn't MIDIfy-for-own-audition, in an earllier quartet (#3 in A)... apologies for huge, huge tangent.)
Eric

gprengel

Today i made another beautiful discovery - the 9th symphony in D minor by Witt. I am absolutly delighted to listen to this gem from 1818, especially the first 2 movements:  https://youtu.be/Pupozl7COU4

Alan Howe

It's on this (deleted) CD:
https://www.amazon.com/Witt-Orchestral-Works-Friedrich/dp/B00092ZBH6

This is certainly a fine work - not as radical as Beethoven, but with a 'D minor power' of its own and some exciting scrunchy harmonies, especially in the first movement.

eschiss1

the published parts of several of his symphonies (he composed something like 15, I think) have been reuploaded at IMSLP.