News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Saint-Saëns 2021

Started by Matt, Saturday 08 February 2020, 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Bachtrack at least doesn't list anything [with Charles-Camille, that is] in York in the next few months, the nearest-by things being a concert with the 2nd trio in Nottingham on March 25, the oboe sonata in Sheffield on May 16, maybe the first cello concerto in Liverpool on June 4/5?...

Christopher

Quote from: mjmosca on Saturday 15 February 2020, 14:20
...And the only music that I know of from Dejanire is found in Saint-Saens' earlier symphonic poem, La jeunesse d'Hercule - the rest is legendary- I have to investigate getting the excerpts that Christopher indicates [thank you for mentioning].....

Hello Mjmosca.

There's this aria "Viens o toi" from Act IV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6wvQCz4q9Q

And two further (unnamed) tracks available for purchase here - https://www.operapassion.com/cd10214.html
Product Description   CD10214 Saint Saens Dejanire 1990 Lyon (extraits)    DEJANIRE by Camille Saint-Saens, excerpts from 1911 opera # Lyon, 1990, cond. Serge Baudo # Dejanire-Dunja Vejzovic # Iole-Andree Francois # Phenice-Alexandra Papajakou # Philoctete-Peter Binder # I believe only excerpts were performed and this is not part of a complete performance.

alberto

I heard the third Symphony in London last Friday (LPO, cond.Krivine) and I see another performance by the RPO on 21st of April.

Christopher

Quite a few of his pieces were in the Proms 2018, including PC 5 and another PC.

mjmosca

Thank you, Christopher for the links to Dejanira- will dive in! I am so impressed with the operas that I have heard, particularly Henry VIII, Ascanio, Etienne Marcel, and Proserpine in particular. But, we also really need live performances of the chamber works -all over! Here in the US we don't get that much of Saint-Saens, or anyone else beyond the stalwarts, because of the decline of the audience [aging and numerical] and the slow reduction of the number of concerts in the average season.One or two works of Saint-Saens in an average season here in Baltimore [we just had the Cello Concerto, Number 1, with Sheku Kannah-Mason]. It is worrisome for music overall.

Saint-Saens Symphony #3 with organ is just starting on the radio! thank you Powers that Be!

eschiss1

Depends on where in the US- there are here and there groups that make a point of various kinds of exploration- but generally true. (Incidentally Saint-Saëns' clarinet sonata is part of the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players concert on Monday.)

TerraEpon

Though the Clarinet Sonata is a major piece in the clarinet rep, so....

eschiss1

True.  A quick look at one particular convenient website (which hardly covers the world, of course!) shows several performances the rest of this season, and also of other works mostly well-known ones- though I don't recognize his "sonata for flute & harp in D" offhand (is that the fantasy or a different work? I don't have Teller-Ratner, unfortunately) and of his cello concertos several performances of no.1 to one of no.2...

TerraEpon

Gotta be the  Fantaisie, or some sort of compilation (perhaps of the Fantaisie, Romance and Odelette?)

BerlinExpat

There is a wonderfully sounding new book on the market:

Saint-Saens and the Stage: Operas, Plays, Pageants, a Ballet and a Film - Cambridge Studies in Opera (Hardback)

The author is Hugh Macdonald and it costs £90.00 !!!

https://www.waterstones.com/book/saint-saens-and-the-stage/hugh-macdonald/9781108426381

BerlinExpat

Les barbares will be staged in Leipzig next year. The performance dates are as follows:
27 March, 3 April, 23 April, 30 April & 12 June 2021.

The cast:

Floria-Nora Sourouzian
Livie-Karin Lovelius
Marcomir-Dominick Chenes
Scaurus / Récitant-Randall Jakobsh
Le Veilleur-Matthias Stier
Hildibrath-Jonathan Michie
Leipzig Opera Chorus
Gewandhausorchester
Conductor-David Reiland

Matt

Here is the cast of the concert version of Déjanire

13th December 2020

Déjanire : Véronique Gens
Iole : Chantal Santon-Jeffery
Phénice : Marie Gautrot
Hercule : Michele Angelini
Philoctète : Boris Pinkhasovich

Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Münchner Rundfunkorchester (conductor : Stefan Blunier)

As it is a Sonntagskonzert, there will be a broadcast on BR Klassik (and probably a CD release) !

Matt

Unfortunately, Déjanire concert is cancelled (Palazzetto Bru Zane website). Don't know if it is postponed. :(

jim43

Let's hope the virus doesn't completely wreck any celebration of the anniversary of his death.  By the way, check out the piano pieces he wrote for left hand alone, quite different from a lot of left hand alone repertoire, somewhat spare and elegant.  And I doubt that unless it is discovered that Samson et Dalilah was secretly written by someone else he will ever really disappear from view quite as completely as some people seem to fear. And the Organ Symphony still seems to find a place in the repertoire when the is some big organ to show off (and sometimes, alas, when there isn't--I heard a performance once with an electronic organ).