Malipiero first recordings from Stradivarius

Started by alberto, Wednesday 16 May 2012, 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

The Italian label Stradivarius has just released (STR 33889):
Gian Francesco Malipiero (1882-1973)
Concerto n.2 for vn. and orch. (1963)
Flute concerto (1968)
"Rispetti e strambotti" (Quartet n.1, version for strings orch. -1920)
Symphony n.6 "Degli archi" (1948)
  F.Parrino, vn. S.Parrino, fl. Orch. della Provincia di Catanzaro, F. Di Mauro cond.
Both concertos are claimed (I think rightly) to be first recordings.
Both were composed in old age (Vn. Concerto at 81, the Flute at 86) and are unpretentious in size (18' 51" the Violin; mere 12' 23 the Flute).
Both present the usual features of quirkiness, fancy, freedom of forms, unpredactibility.
If not the best Malipiero, both are easily among the best music composed in Italy in the '60s.
"Rispetti and Strambotti" , however, represent Malipiero at his best.
Good soloists.
The performances from a modest sized, young and unknown orchestra sound good, beyond my expectations.

Dundonnell

As you say, alberto, very conveniently filling two gaps in the Malipiero discography :)

eschiss1

Have been interested in/curious about the 2nd concerto, especially if it's stylistically more like the later symphonies etc. Perhaps will at least hear excerpts from the CD before too long to start with. (I have a tape of an LP of the 6th symphony but I believe the same recording has been reissued on CD before now- it may be the same one as on this recording at that, too, will have to check :) ... (the Scarlatti Orchestra is the one I have), and likewise a recording of the 7th - besides much of the Almeida survey and the 1st violin concerto, myself...)
(Though as to best music composed in Italy in the 1960s, I'm going to hold out on that one until I hear Dallapiccola's opera Ulisse (1968). I expect at worst I at least shall find all of them quite quite good... (Well, you did say among. I stand corrected!) )