The Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 13 – Schumann

Started by FBerwald, Wednesday 16 May 2012, 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion just announced The Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 13 – Schumann

... Am very disappointed. Isn't there enough recordings of the Schumann concerto out there already. Now the Violin Concerto by Georg Schumann would have been something. Hope Hyperion has some real winners in the future otherwise the RVC seems to be heading for defunct central!!! :( 

JimL

Isn't is the wrong word.  Should be "ain't".  ::)

To quote Hellboy: "Awwwwwwwwwwwww, CRAP!"

Alan Howe

Pretty disappointing, I agree. Unless it's an outright winner, I'll be giving this a miss...

obermann

To some extents I would agree but I cannot help feeling that as with the piano series this sort of recording is an attempt to have a 'banker' in the series. If it sells in reasonable numbers, maybe that means we can have something more interesting later...

All that said I doubt this will be on my shopping list. The recent Ondine release is, I suspect, good enough for a work I struggle to love.

JimL

jerfilm

eschiss1

I'm guessing that Hyperion and Naxos share a justification for this - people interested in -very- unusual repertoire are neither common enough nor spendthrift (?) enough to keep their operations afloat.
(And the Schumann fantasy and violin concerto, while more commonly encountered than the Vieuxtemps 2nd concerto, have a little ways to go before attaining the public recognizability of Beethoven's concerto (or his 5th symphony)- all is obviously relative.  I still grant the point- my memory immediately came up with the main theme of the finale of the Schumann violin concerto even as I was thinking about this post, and that happens for me but not all that often - but - well.. .er... perspective and patience...

FBerwald

I was hoping for the Philipp Scharwenka concerto but I guess we'll all have to wait some time for that!!

Jimfin

It is a bore, indeed, but on the other hand, surely a series claiming to be covering "the romantic violin concerto" should include all the major examples, sung and unsung? Its only that we expect more exciting things of Hyperion.

eschiss1

I just think that in not too too long (hopefully) we shall get them (though I know nothing about. I should check to see performer schedules to see if perhaps I can find any reason... hrm.! ) :) Apologies for my language in my last post. (On a vaguely related topic, cellist Alban Gerhardt's website (under Schedule) has Reger's 4th cello sonata as background music and notes an upcoming radio(?) recording of the Pfitzner cello concertos this summer... no, not a premiere and no idea if any commercial release is planned, but still...)

jerfilm

Well, lets hope that they don't decide to do all the major examples.  Neither here nor in the romantic piano concerto series.  The Tchaikovsky piano concerto volume 50 was more than enough for most of us.  My gracious, think of the list - no, I'm not gonna list 'em, but geez.   We could wait way beyond my lifetime for some more unsungs......

But they're the ones marketing records, not me......

Jerry

Alan Howe

There is already one absolute winner of a CD featuring the same programme as the forthcoming Hyperion release, i.e that with Ulf Wallin on BIS. My advice would be not to bother waiting for the Hyperion CD if you particularly want this programme, but simply to go for the BIS...

giles.enders

I do take exception to the carping about Hyperion and the other independents.  They are still with us producing NEW recordings.  Surly your comments should be directed at the big boys like EMI, Sony, Warner, Decca,  who have done so little for classical music in recent years.

Jimfin

I agree with Giles: personally I think we should all buy a copy of the Schumann and give it to those of our loved ones who will never go 'unsung' (like my mother), and Hyperion can use the money to fund a nice recording of something special