News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Raff Scores on Line

Started by oldman, Sunday 17 January 2010, 02:34

Previous topic - Next topic

oldman

While doing some internet searches, serendipity led me to an on line copy of the score to Joachim Raff's 4 Shakespeare Overtures.  For those who have interest in this, the URL is

http://books.google.com/books?id=iV8RAAAAYAAJ&oe=UTF-8

Enjoy.

Ilja

Unfortunately, not accessible to us on this side of the pond... (unless one is willing to fiddle with proxies).

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, but it's just an image from the library art Harvard University. The score is not available to purchase online from anyone.

Mark Thomas

These are the scores to only two of the four Shakespeare Preludes: Macbeth & Romeo & Juliet. The Tempest and Othello were never published. IMSLP has many Raff scores available for free download as PDF. Most are chamber or piano scores but they have the partitur to these orchestral scores:

Symphony No.5 Lenore
Piano Concerto op.185
Ode au Printemps op.76
Orchestral Suite No.1 op.101
Festival Overture, op.117
Overture: Eine feste Burg op.127

To track down other scores go here.

chill319

Just for fun...
A recent addition to IMSLP offers a peek into popular culture during the Weimar Republic, and Raff's position therein.

http://imslp.org/imglnks/usimg/b/ba/IMSLP56143-PMLP33739-Raff__J.J._Fleurette_Op.75__No1.pdf

The periodical Music Every Week (a bit like the old Etude, perhaps) reprints Raff's opus 75/1 with a still (possibly from the movie My Boy [1921]) showing Jackie Coogan practicing the tune on a fiddle prior to busking. Needless to say, the movie was silent, so any Raff reference would have been on an intertitle created for the German market. Presumably many in the audience would have known the tune instantly from its title.

eschiss1

Last I checked though the score that was uploaded to IMSLP for symphony 5 was barely legible, more like a microform. Maybe a better scan has been uploaded since.