Quoting whole posts

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 31 May 2012, 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've noticed that there's a tendency amongst some members to quote a whole post when replying to it, often when the reply follows on immediately from the one being quoted in full. In fact there are two such examples today. The whole point of using the quote facility is to highlight a small part of the previous post or to quote from a post which is some way back in the stack. Quoting the whole of a post, unless it's a very short one, defeats the idea of focussing on a section of the post and quoting the whole of the previous post is just plain pointless. It achieves nothing.

QuoteI've noticed that there's a tendency amongst some members to quote a whole post when replying to it, often when the reply follows on immediately from the one being quoted in full. In fact there are two such examples today. The whole point of using the quote facility is to highlight a small part of the previous post or to quote from a post which is some way back in the stack. Quoting the whole of a post, unless it's a very short one, defeats the idea of focussing in on a section of the post and quoting the whole of the previous post is just plain pointless. It achieves nothing.
Irritating isn't it?

I'm loath to start editing member's posts who persist in quoting the previous post in full, but be assured that I will do so if it continues, if only to ensure that it was a fad and doesn't become a trend!

Class may resume...

Alan Howe

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 31 May 2012, 16:22
I've noticed that there's a tendency amongst some members to quote a whole post when replying to it, often when the reply follows on immediately from the one being quoted in full. In fact there are two such examples today. The whole point of using the quote facility is to highlight a small part of the previous post or to quote from a post which is some way back in the stack. Quoting the whole of a post, unless it's a very short one, defeats the idea of focussing on a section of the post and quoting the whole of the previous post is just plain pointless. It achieves nothing.

QuoteI've noticed that there's a tendency amongst some members to quote a whole post when replying to it, often when the reply follows on immediately from the one being quoted in full. In fact there are two such examples today. The whole point of using the quote facility is to highlight a small part of the previous post or to quote from a post which is some way back in the stack. Quoting the whole of a post, unless it's a very short one, defeats the idea of focussing in on a section of the post and quoting the whole of the previous post is just plain pointless. It achieves nothing.
Irritating isn't it?

I'm loath to start editing member's posts who persist in quoting the previous post in full, but be assured that I will do so if it continues, if only to ensure that it was a fad and doesn't become a trend!

Class may resume...

I agree. Extremely vexing. I'll be keeping an eye on this too...

thalbergmad

I was thinking of doing that, but perhaps Alan is the only person who could get away with it.

Very good.

Thal

Jimfin

It made me laugh, and I quite agree about it.

erato

To what? I cannot see what you are referring to?

TerraEpon

Alan quoted the whole first post.