News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Brian Couzens

Started by Mark Thomas, Sunday 19 April 2015, 22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I'm sorry to report the passing on Friday at the age of 82 of the founder of Chandos, Brian Couzens, a man to whom we all owed a substantial debt of gratitude.

Dr Gradus

Sad news indeed. I remember recording for him twenty years ago with London Mozart Players, a relationship that lasted quite some time. Happily Ralph is keeping the thing going as I believe?

Alan Howe

Yes, sad news. Ralph is doing a fine job, though.

sdtom

He seemed to produce superior recordings over the years. He'll be missed.
Tom :)

Herbert Pauls

And, of course, Couzens was a real practical and unflagging supporter of a large number of Romantic tonalists who survived well into the early Modern age but (for a number of reasons) often saw their stars fade in the post-war years. In his musical sympathies he was very much a kindred spirit to Hyperion's Ted Perry and Klaus Heymann of Naxos/Marco Polo. Music lovers, and even historians, owe a huge debt of gratitude to repertoire trail blazers like them. More than almost anyone, it is they who have laid the foundations that will allow us to construct a truer picture of what the broad range of concert music was really like in the first half of the 20th Century. We are all the richer for it, and may he continue to inspire us all.

giles.enders

I am very sad to hear the news about Brian Couzens, we all owe him so much with the recordings he made possible.  It is unlikely that anyone will ever again found a record company that will record whole symphonic cycles.  It is thanks to him that I discovered a great many pieces of music which I would never have known about

chill319

What Giles said most eloquently expresses my thoughts and feelings, too.

During the economically healthier period during which Chandos first flourished, at an excellent local merchant, now alas also gone, I browsed over many then-new Chandos recordings of composers unknown to me, in search of the two or three I knew, not realizing that the A-and-R perspicacity of Mr. Couzens could then and there have introduced me to many who would later become personal favorites. It appears his business agenda was informed by exceptional critical faculties.

bulleid_pacific

I only need three words to sum up Brian Couzens' achievements for me (others will choose different ones):

Parry
Stanford
Bax

RIP Brian

giles.enders

I recall from my 1940's childhood, a huge stuffed brown bear which stood in the doorway of an upmarket second hand furniture shop in Tottenham Court Road, London.  When the shop closed many years ago, Brian purchased the said bear and it stood in Chandos offices.  Any news of the bear ?

Gareth Vaughan

I remember that bear. I hope he is safe.