News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Richard Walthew 1872-1951

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 12 June 2012, 11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Lang

Oops - I'm afraid the mistake was mine.  My apologies.  'Mule Music' is listed in Ten Songs.  I assume the postings above were a response to mine, and must say that despite its title, 'Mule Music' is as far as it's possible to get from a comic song.  Also, despite the original cover, it's a long way from a sentimental ballad.  It depicts the life of an abused animal, that eventually finds peace in death.   The poem (I can't remember who it's by) illustrates the life of the mule in largely musical terms "Key A minor, measure common, one and two and three and four", and Walthew follows these indications exactly.  It should be played crochet = 60 so that the constant quavers illustrate the poem:  "Every hoofbeat, half a second", but in the performances I have heard it has been played far too fast.  Then at the end the song modulates into a luminous A major.  It's well worth hearing.

I have also had the privilege of playing secundo in the 'Introduction, Air and Jig for Piano Duet'.  That, too, is a wonderful piece, with a typical Walthew melodic slow movement, and a frenetic last movement.  It is such a shame that this music is not played.  It was nice, however, to listen to the recent recording of the Prelude and Fugue for two clarinets and bassoon.

heydiddlefiddle

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I performed the walthew wind quartet in Heptonstall church last year, with a repeat performance in Ripley, Derbyshire in July this year. As a bassoonist, I found it quite a pleasure to play. I am also a cellist and am keen to see his cello sonata. Any ideas where I might find it?
Regards, Deena

semloh

Deena, a very warm welcome to Unsung Composers!  I am sure one of our expert members will be able to help with your query...

eschiss1

I see it listed among his works I think..., but not in Worldcat.org (which lists a sonata by Cervetto for cello arranged by Walthew, but none I find offhand composed by him.) There are two viola sonatas by him (one in D, and a serenade-sonata for violin or viola and piano in F minor) which perhaps might exist in cello transcriptions? (The viola sonata in D page @ IMSLP, on inspection, is not PD, so will be deleted in a couple of days unless it is made PD-CA by complete removal of the viola part from all materials (replacement by piano part- not score- only.))