News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Edmund Rubbra question?

Started by BFerrell, Friday 18 May 2012, 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I'm sure  the BBC always pronounced Rubbra to rhyme with "rubber" as did a former pupil of his I once met.

Dundonnell

The BBC pronounciation, used in the announcers' introductions to all the Rubbra compositions I made available on this forum, is consistently "Rubb-ra" (Rub-rah).
Since these broadcasts all date from the 1970's-when Rubbra was still alive-and the introductions were written by Leo Black, the BBC music producer and author of "Edmund Rubbra: Symphonist" they can, I think, be presumed to be correct.

I know from a former BBC music producer who worked for the Corporation in the 1980s that once a month he was summoned to London for a meeting with the Controller of the Third Progrramme (as it was in those days) at which all the music producers discussed the introductions for broadcasts of music.

Jimfin

It might be worth mentioning that I saw on another forum that Ruth Gipps was pronounced with a hard 'G': her niece contributed to the discussion and confirmed it.

giles.enders

I am puzzled by Arensky, many pronounce it as Arry' ensky  It would seem that this may be correct as that is how I have heard Russian speakers pronounce it.

Leea25

Hi Giles,

I believe that is right. I only know a little Russian, so perhaps someone else can confirm. When you see an 'e', for example, transliterated from Russian cyrillic, it is often pronounced as a 'ye' sound (with a short 'e' as in 'get'). So, Kabalevsky would be 'Kabalyevsky', for example and Arensky, 'Aryensky'. I have no idea why, since it is a transliteration that it is not simply written as it sounds! Apparently the fashion these days is to use to 'i's rather than a 'y', as in Mariinsky for example, which is pronounced Marry-insky.

Lee

Delicious Manager

Quote from: alberto on Friday 25 May 2012, 17:19
Other pronounciation questions. How do you pronounce "Tuur" (I cannot type properly), "Moyzes" and "Suchon"?

Tüür (the accents are important for correct spelling and pronunciation): in Estonian "ü" is like the German Umlaut "u", so pronounced like the French "u" (half way between an English "oo" and "ee" sound). So, Tüür just has a long version of this.
Moyzes is Slovak and, as such, is phonetic (MOY-zess), with the accent on the first syllable (as always with Czech and Slovak).
Suchoń is also Slovak. 'CH' in Slovak is like it often is in German (a gutteral 'kh' sound) or the 'ch' in the Scottish word 'loch'. The accented 'n' means there is an unvoiced 'y' after the 'n', making SUKH-on(y) - a little similar to the ending of the word 'campagne' in French.

alberto

Thanks to Delicious Manager for reply 35.