Joseph Marx(1882-1964): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 25 June 2012, 19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

JOSEPH MARX: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1901:      Symphony No.1 (unpublished and material reused)
1906:      Symphony No.2  (unpublished and material reused)
1909:      "Barkarole" for high voice and orchestra: 7 minutes   + (Chandos cd)
1910:      "Morgengesang" for male chorus and orchestra: 8 minutes     +  (Chandos cd)
1911:      "Herbstchor an Pan" for chorus, orchestra and organ: 18 minutes      +  (Chandos cd)
1912:      "Abendweise" for male chorus, brass, timpani and organ: 14 minutes
1916-20:Romantic Piano Concerto in E major: 40 minutes   + (ASV and Hyperion  cds)
1920-21:"Eine Herbstsymphonie" in B: 80-90 minutes
1922:      "Symphonic Night Music" for orchestra: 26 minutes   +  (ASV cd)
1925:      "Idyll-Concertino on the pastoral fourth" for orchestra: 14 minutes      +  (ASV and cpo cds)
                "Spring Music" for orchestra: 23 minutes    + (ASV and cpo cds)
1928:      Festival Fanfare Music for brass, timpani and snare-drum: 4 minutes
1929:      "Nordland-Rhapsodie" for orchestra: 30-35 minutes
1929-30:"Castelli Romani": Three Pieces for Piano and Orchestra: 31 minutes     + (ASV cd)
1930-32:Song Cycle "Verklartes Jahr" for medum voice and orchestra: 18-21 minutes     +  (ASV cd)
1937-38/45:Partita in Modo Antico for string orchestra: 31 minutes   +  (ASV cd)
1940-41/44:Sinfonia in Modo Classico for string orchestra: 25 minutes   + (ASV cd)
1941-42:Old Vienna Serenades for orchestra: 18 minutes   + (ASV cd)
1946:      "Feste im Herbst" ("Autumnal Revels") for orchestra (revision of finale of 'Herbstsymphonie'): 25 minutes   +  (cpo cd)

and around a further twenty songs with orchestral accompaniment

Alan Howe

A commercial download of the Herbstsymphonie in an absolutely superb performance is available from MicMacMusic for the ridiculously low price of 3 Euros here:
http://www.micmacmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=659

Dundonnell

J.Z. Herrenberg

For what it's worth: I have that performance of the Herbstsymphonie. It's a marvellous piece (though I don't think Colin would like it - too lush). I didn't recommend the site, though, because my dealings with it weren't successful. I eventually got the work, for which I did pay, via a friend.

Dundonnell

eschiss1

Oh, I thought this was about Joseph Marx, not Karl Marx (1897-1985) (who wrote his viola concerto around the same time as Joseph Marx's piano Castelli Romani, it seems...)

(MusicSack lists several other dozen Marxes-as-surname, including Groucho :) :) )

J.Z. Herrenberg

jerfilm

I would swear that someone in one of these threads had alluded to an old ASV recording of Marx's Piano Quintet but for the life of me I can seem to find the post or a record of such a recording.  Anyone?

Jerry

eschiss1

jerfilm

I don't know.  It was referenced as Opus 15.  But I see in the Marx Society webpage there are no piano quintets listed.  Although that page leaves a lot to be desired.  For example, they just say "three piano quartets" - no opuses, no key signatures, nothing.   So, who knows?

J

eschiss1

Er, wait, opus 15 might have been Korngold's piano quintet in E major?... that would have been another CD though.

Hrrrrmm... the only ASV recording of Joseph Marx quartet(s) that I can turn up just offhand is the recording of his 3 string quartets, actually. Though the Rhapsody was recorded, on another label. (cpo recording, a few years back, with all 3 works for piano quartet - Rhapsody (pub.1912), Scherzo (1911) and Ballad in A minor (1911).) All three of these works for piano quartet by Marx have been uploaded to IMSLP and can be downloaded (in the US, in Canada as of next year, in Europe as of 21 years from now, since he died in 1964) in score and/or parts I think.

jerfilm

Yah, I'll bet that's it, Eric.  I will scratch it from my want list.

thanks for the research.

Jerry

eschiss1

I'm sure that wasn't my intention, but ok! :) (I see that JPC is offering the cpo CD of Marx' works for piano quartet for 3 Euros right now, btw.)

minacciosa

Barkarole is also on an ASV cd of Marx' orchestral songs.

strelsa42

There is a recording of "Eine Herbstsymphonie" by Leon Botstein and The American Symphony Orchestra. It runs 59 minutes [at least in it's iTunes incarnation it does], so I am interested in the running time given in the original posting here : 80-90 minutes. Does anyone know if the Leon Botstein recording is heavily cut ?