Krommer C major symphony aside from his 9th?

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 04 February 2010, 16:00

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The link http://www2.rozhlas.cz/archivy/index.php?HLEDPO=632110
describes a performance and studio recording (for Czech Radio) of a brief C major symphony by Franz Krommer.  The only C major symphony I know of is his 9th from 1830 (see the list in the Krommer Wikipedia article, for instance), a symphony that's described in the book "The symphony in Beethoven's Vienna" - in a page viewable in Google Books - as "ambitious" - which does not imply 10 minutes long. Does anyone know if there's a misprint somewhere, a misattribution, or something else going on? This is a minor question, not of much interest, but I am interested.

(I have a simllar question also of just passing interest about a possible 5th string quartet by Robert Fuchs, but I'll let that pass for the time being.)

Eric

TerraEpon

I had no idea Krommer wrote more than 4....would love to hear them all

eschiss1

There were 9, of which one is lost, apparently permanently.  They're nos. 1 in F op. 12, 2 in D you know, 3 in D op. 62, 4 in C minor you know, 5 in Eflat op. 105, 6 in D from 1823, 7 in G minor from 1824, and 9 in C from 1830.  Wyn-Jones in his book The Symphony in Beethoven's Vienna mentions them briefly, saying among other things that the 3rd seems to be an attempt to capture the success of the second (his descriptions are more detailed than that, from what little I can read on the Google-books available pages; I think the local university library has the book and will check the whole thing there. I know of no other book offhand aside from Padtra's catalog of all of Krommer's works that would even possibly have anything such as a thematic incipit for the 5th-9th symphonies.) There are recordings, that I know of, only of nos. 1, 2 and 4, but I may be forgetting.

Eric

Marcus

Hello eschiss1,
That Wikipedia list also mentions Sinfonia pastoralis in C major, a Symphony in D major & Sinfonia pastoralis in D major (lost). I have not read up much on Krommer, but you would suspect these were early works  ? I have been hoping for years that Chandos might release another disc of his symphonies, as they are very well constructed, and would have been more popular had Mozart, Haydn & Beethoven not dominated the scene.
Cheers!
Marcus.

John H White

As one who his always keen to hear symphonies contemporaneous with those of Beethoven, Schubert and Spohr, I would certainly hope that the remaining Krommer symphonies will eventually be recorded. But I'm afraid that it won't necessarily happen in my lifetime. After all I am now in my 80th year, even if I do still act like a teenager! :)