Help needed for: Unsung violin concertos 1894-..

Started by violinconcerto, Sunday 07 February 2010, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Hello KLScott,
Re Hugo Kaun -  a name unknown to me.
Although this  is not related to the violin concerto thread, (which you have already covered),I have dug a little further and discovered that his Symphony no1 To the Fatherland (1893)and the Piano Concerto no1 in E flat minor op50,
are both available on CD.  A post requesting details of piano concerto recordings is elswhere in this forum. I have not been able to access this list to check, but you may be able ?
Marcus.

eschiss1

The entry I found for the Bate does say it's a private tape, but it may be a mislisting for the viola concerto.  (Evidence against: the viola concerto is from 1944-46, the violin concerto listed in iLink is from 1950. According to http://www.musicweb-international.com/bate/index.htm , that would be the 3rd concerto; the first is from the 1930s, the second is from 1943. 1953 is indeed the premiere date, as below. This does give dates for your list, I suppose...)

All iLink says is, that Antonio Brosa is the violinist, Richard Austin, cond., London Symphony, tape from about 1953. I'm guessing it might be the premiere, and it's most likely the 3rd violin concerto.
Eric

John Hudock

I just mentioned in a post I made about Bortkiewicz that he has a violin concerto, published in 1922, that has never been recorded, as far as I can tell.

More info can be found here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ingp0040/1828589.htm

Gareth Vaughan

Quote from: Marcus on Tuesday 16 February 2010, 12:24
Although this  is not related to the violin concerto thread, (which you have already covered),I have dug a little further and discovered that his Symphony no1 To the Fatherland (1893)and the Piano Concerto no1 in E flat minor op50,
are both available on CD. 
Marcus.
The recordings are of academic interest only, the music having been synthesised, not played by an orchestra and soloist. They can be found at; http://www.romana-hamburg.de/Kaun.htm

Marcus

Hello Tobias,
Another name for your unrecorded list: G.W.L Marshall-Hall (1862-1915) England/Australia:
Capriccioso for Violin & Orchestra (1910),Violin Fantasies (1907)
The manuscripts for these works are held in the Grainger Museum, Melbourne, Australia.
I am preparing a list of Finnish violin works, which I will send in the next few days. Although they are only names, it is a starting point for you, and your resources are probably more extensive than mine.
Marcus.

violinconcerto

Hello Marcus,

thanks for the additional information! I will include within the next weeks.

Best,
Tobias

Gareth Vaughan

In addition to the 4 Violin Concertos you list of Emanuel Moor, there are the following:

Suite for Violin & strings (arr. of Violin & piano suite), Op.73 (1908?) - pub. Siegel [score and parts in Fleisher]
Rhapsody, Op.84 (1908?) - pub. Mathot [score and parts in Fleisher]
Concertstück, Op.134A (1912?) - unpublished
Triple (Vn/Pf/Vc), Op.70 (1907?) - MS [score and parts in Fleisher]
Concertstück (Vn/Vc), Op.98 (1909) - pub. Mathot
Concerto for Piano & Violin, no opus no. (1911) - MS
Concerto for String Quartet & orchestra, no opus no. (1916) - MS

The Moor archive is held at Westminster Music Library, Victoria, London, but not all of these pieces are present. They may be in other collections, but I have done only superficial research on Emanuel Moor.

Yavar Moradi

You mention Lee Holdridge's excellent recorded Violin Concerto No. 2 here:
http://www.violinconcerto.de/collection.php?action=composer&composer=Holdridge&first_name=Lee

No mention of his Violin Concerto No. 1 in the unrecorded section...

Sadly I can't find any information about it at either his website or Wikipedia, but if he intended to suppress it I wonder why he'd call his recorded violin concerto "No. 2"!

Yavar

John Hudock

This may be what you list as a "Tone Poem for Violin & Orchestra", but while investigating his poeme for piano & orchestra I came across a listing of Vierne's Ballade for Violin & Orchestra, Op 52 (1926).

http://www.netreach.net/~druid/LVe/CatalogueBG.html

As far as I've been able to find it's unrecorded.

violinconcerto

Quote from: Yavar Moradi on Friday 26 February 2010, 23:49
You mention Lee Holdridge's excellent recorded Violin Concerto No. 2 here:
http://www.violinconcerto.de/collection.php?action=composer&composer=Holdridge&first_name=Lee

No mention of his Violin Concerto No. 1 in the unrecorded section...

Sadly I can't find any information about it at either his website or Wikipedia, but if he intended to suppress it I wonder why he'd call his recorded violin concerto "No. 2"!

Yavar

Hello Yavar,

thanks for the note!

You are right, it exists a violin concerto No.1 by Holdridge and I was in touch with him some time ago and he wanted to send me a recording of it, but it never happened. So there is a "No.1", but not commercially recorded.

Tobias

violinconcerto

Thanks, John and Gareth, for the Moor and Vierne works!

Tobias

eschiss1

A complete list of Emanuel Moor's works, with opus nos. and publishers where known, can be found at
http://www.emanuel-und-henrik-moor-stiftung.de/Emanuel/works.shtml by the way. -
Eric

Marcus

Hello Tobias,
I notice that you have quite a few New Zealand works, and one listed recorded work without details:
Lyell Cresswell Violin Concerto (1970): Two recordings available, both on cassette with works by other NZ composers 1: NZBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Edwin Carr Soloist Alex Lindsay (rec1971)
                  2:  As above.
The New Zealand music site Sounz website has an extensive list of NZ composers, and many works are recorded and available from Sounz, Zeroland or Kiwi Pacific Records, but like those above, are not commercial recordings generally available to the public. Sounz also carries most of the scores, available for purchase.
I have been through the list, but I did not list recordings, as most of those that are available, are hard to obtain for the general music lover. I have listed a few compositions which may not be of interest to you, but you can decide that. I suggest that you access the Sounz web-site, although by the look of your list, I am sure you already know of it.

1. Lyell Cresswell (b1944)
Concerto for Orchestra & String Quartet (1997) 26'54" (rec. cassette NZ string Quartet & BBC Scottish SO cond Kenneth Young rec. 2001)
Inventions for Violin Octet  ( scordatura tunings range across contrabass to treble violin) 16' 1994

2.David Farquhar (1928-2007)
1.Evocation for Orchestral Violins 1975 8' single mvt.
2.Scenes & Memories Violin Piano & Percussion (2 cymbals, & side drum) 17' 1972

Chris Watson (b.1976)
Ogee for Violin & orchestra single mvt 11' 2009

Michael F.Williams (b 1960's ?)(has his own web-site, but no birth date)
Triple Concerto Violin, Cello & Piano "Convergence" 3 mvts 2007

Maria Grenfell (b.1969)
Ceol na Fidhle - Vioin & Percussion ( 4 tom-toms,small bass drum,chinese opera gong, marimba & suspended cymbls) 4 mvts 9' 1999

Philip Norman (b1953)
Concerto Violin, Piano & Orchestra 3 mvts 20' 1995

James Gardner (b1962)
Whispered by the Perfumed Breath of Silence for Solo Violin & 12 String instruments single mvt 9' 1999

Chris Adams (b.1979)
Arianna Suite for 4 Violins 5'30" 2010

John Rimmer (b1939)
1.Gossamer for 12 Solo Strings (4 Violins, 4 Violas, 3 cellos & 2 D/Bass)   9' 1984
2.Composition 8 - for Violin & Electronic Sounds 16' 1974

Douglas Lilburn (1915-2001)
Canzona for 2 Solo Violins & String Quartet 3'

Ashley Heenan (b.1925-2004)
Concerto Violin, Organ Harpsichord & Strings "After Vivaldi" 12'

Jack Body (b.1944)
1. After Bach for 8 Vioilns, 4 cellos 2001
2.Mediatations on Michaelangelo for Solo Violin & String Orchestra 7 mvts 17' 2007

Ewan Clark (b.1981)
Gethsemane for 4 Solo Violins & String orchestra 10' 2000

Chris Prosser (b.1956)
1.Pacific for Violin scordatura 2hours 5mins 1992
2.Birds Reply to Bartok - 44 Violin Duos 2003 (no time listing)

Cheers,
Marcus.

Marcus

Hello Tobias,
Another for your catalogue of recorded works:
Velesslavitsa - Concerto for Piano Two Violins & Cello (2008) by Alexander Prior (b.1992)
3 movements: Maestoso - Allegro 17'08", Grave 17'42", Presto 11'45"
Toccata classics TT4635

violinconcerto

Hello Marcus,

thanks a lot for the list!
First I have to underline that I really just focus on works composed between 1894 and 2006, so everything composed after that is out of my bounces.
Anyway I found a few works in your list I had to add to my "missing list" and interestingly two are recorded (not commercially but with a recording in the SOUNZ library): The Cresswell and the Philip Norman. You are right, that I know the SOUNZ website for some time. In fact I was a member of SOUNZ for two years and borrowed a few recordings from them, but then cancelled the membership. Right now I would be pleased to be a member again, but I am not - but are you?

Best,
Tobias