Johann Rufinatscha: unjustly unsung

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 10 May 2009, 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Now Draeseke is one of the greatest unsungs...

Have you tried looking here....?
http://www.draeseke.org/

JimL

You know, maybe somebody could start up a Rufinatscha Society...

Alan Howe

Your good self, maybe? You have all the skills...

albion

Great news - it looks as though we may be in line for some Rufinatscha from Chandos. In reply to Alan's post on their new forum, Ralph Couzens has responded as follows:

"Chandos is seriously considering this composers works, probably starting with the 6th Symphony.
The final details are being negotiated now."

Alan Howe

Chandos have told me who the likely conductor and orchestra will be. Suffice it to say that the former is of world standing...

eschiss1

This is unexpected and good news...
Eric

JimL

I hope Hyperion gets the PC in their pipeline for the RPCS before Chandos gets their hands on it!

chill319

Gentlemen, is it possible this forum is making a difference?

albion

It is entirely possible that the informed and enthusiastic discussions on this forum are read and noted by similarly-minded individuals within the recording industry. Long may such discussions continue!

Alan Howe

My impression is that it is the individual approaches and contacts that really make the difference...

albion

Quote from: Albion on Monday 17 May 2010, 19:45
Having been gripped by the recently-purchased Tudor box of Raff (so far, more than a week of solid repeated listening), I have taken the plunge and tonight ordered the Rufinatscha discs (Symphonies 1, 5 & 6) from the Tyrolean State Museum. I kept coming across his name on this forum and, passionate anglophile though I may be, I do occasionally stray across the channel! Although much has been posted about the quality of Rufinatscha's music, I don't think anybody has given a review of the actual recording in terms of performance or engineering. Any thoughts?
The two CDs arrived today, and based on what I have heard I have just ordered the recording of No.2 coupled with the overtures! Many thanks to members of the forum for their positive recommendations regarding this wonderful composer. The performances, unlike many 'world premiere' recordings, are fantastically alive and those involved in their production should take the greatest pride in them. Even if other recordings do come to pass, these Tyrolean discs are true 'classics' which every enthusiast for nineteenth-century symphonists should seek out.

Alan Howe

The problem with the recordings is essentially that they are almost inaccessible. Now, Rufinatscha is an unsung giant - but only internationally-available recordings are going to prove this to the world...

JimL

I can hardly wait!  Actually, I just wanted to bring this thread closer to the top so I can order the Pembauer Cello Concerto more easily!

jimmattt

New to this forum, so responding to old info, also obtained all the Rufinatscha I could, also am glad to have works by Johann Baptist Gansbacher, Matthaus Nagiller and Josef Netzer. I am no musicologist, just know they were great to hear. Thanks, Jim

JimL

You won't regret it.  At least not the Rufinatscha.  Welcome aboard, Jimmattt!