Wilhelm Furtwangler(1882-1954): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Tuesday 17 July 2012, 03:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

WILHELM FURTWANGLER: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1899:      Overture in E flat major, op.3
1901-02:"Schwindet, ihr dunklen Wolbungen droben" for chorus and orchestra     +   (Marco Polo cd)
1902:      Symphony in D major
1902-06/09:Te Deum for chorus and orchestra    +   (Marco Polo cd)
1903:      "Religioser Hymnus" for chorus and orchestra    +  (Marco Polo cd)
1908:      Symphony in B minor
1925-36/54:Symphonic Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in B minor: 62 minutes   +   (Marco Polo, Tahra and EMI cds)
1938-41:Symphony No.1 in B minor: 77 minutes    + (Marco Polo and Arte Nova cds)
1944-47:Symphony No.2 in E minor: 81 minutes    +  (Orfeo, Hanssler, Archipel, BR Klassik Archive, DGG, Arte Nova and Teldec cds)
1954:     Symphony No.3 in C sharp minor: 69 minutes   +  (Marco Polo, Arte Nova and Orfeo cds)

eschiss1

at least something (maybe all there is) of the early two symphonies (the 1899, 1908 ones), and the overture in E-flat, also on a Marco Polo disc. The Orfeo recording of the 3rd symphony has less music than the Marco Polo recording since the finale is, I believe, omitted from the former (there's a story there.)
I think there may be yet other recordings on CD of the symphonic concerto (hrm. Well- the 1996 one from LYS may not be available... it postdates the Marco Polo 1991 one but that one seems to be available at least as a download - probably the same with a 1993 Biddulph recording of the concerto with Fischer at the piano...)

alberto

The 1951 studio recording of Symphony n.2 by the composer-conductor with the BPO exists on DG. Anothere fairly recent recording exists on Arte Nova (G.A.Albrecht cond.).

tc

May I add that the Piano Concerto was also released on Tahra with Erik Then-Bergh as the soloist and Kubelik conducting the BRSO and that all 3 symphonies were issued on Arte Nova with George Alexander Albrecht conducting Staatskapelle Weimar?

theqbar

All three symphonies exist on Arte Nova cds, Staatskapelle Weimar/George Alexander Albrecht