An Englishman in Italy: British Piano Music Inspired by Italy

Started by calico, Friday 20 July 2012, 21:53

Previous topic - Next topic

calico

Piano music by a number of British unsung composers, many never before recorded,  played by Christopher Howell (with Ermanno de Stefani in duets) on a double CD from Sheva, available from MusicWeb:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2012/July12/Englishman_Italy_SH056.htm

dafrieze

May I just say that this is an absolutely delightful (and well-filled) two-disc set of almost completely unsung piano music, sensitively played and superbly recorded?  As an Anglophile American who recently returned from his first trip to Italy, I couldn't have asked for a more sympathetic recording to be waiting on my doorstep when I returned (I ordered it before I flew to Europe).  Apart from one piece by, I think, Arthur Somervell, I had heard none of the almost 40 pieces in the set before, and a number of the composers themselves - Ernest Markham Lee, Eaton Faning, Ronald Swaffield - were quite new to me.  I highly recommend this one!

calico

Thanks for the recommendation, dafrieze - I'm really looking forward to getting my copy!

Jonathan

I too read the review on musicweb and thought a definate must buy!  Especially interested to hear the Bache.

thalbergmad

My copy arrived today and I could not wait to get home to give it a spin. I gently sedated myself with half a gallon of ale as the Bache was over 30 minutes, but I need not have bothered.

Liszt it ain't and apart from a touch of Sterndale Bennett/Mendelssohn and a nod in the direction of Rossini in the finale, it is a totally original work. I can imagine it being played by a well to do Victorian Lady at a small private gathering and it would not have disturbed the gentleman during their brandy and cigars.

Not many dangers for the pianist and within the grasp of the talented amateur, so perhaps it might find itself in a few repertoires. Might even give it a go myself.

Can't wait for the rest.

Thal