Kletzki Piano Concerto & Debussy's Prix de Rome attempts.

Started by Marcus, Monday 08 February 2010, 12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

I note that Naxos will soon release a disc of Paul Kletzki's  (1900-1973), piano music. The disc includes the Piano Concerto in D minor plus other piano pieces. (preludes etc) (Naxos 8.572190)
I purchased the Kletzki Symphony no3 (BIS) some time ago, and was disappointed with it, but I will certainly try this new disc. Kletzki's Symphony no2 was released about 10 years ago on the Helvetica label, but in spite of ordering from different sources, I have been unable to procure it. I think the label disappeared soon after, and the number of copies produced must have been very small ?  Does anyone know ?
Debussy's Prix de Rome compositions are available on a 2CD set (Glossa GCD922206) The disc contains:
L'enfant prodigue, Le gladiateur,L'invocation,La damoiselle eluie,Printemps - symphonic suite, salut printemps & printemps.
Marcus.

Alan Howe

I don't hold out great hopes for Kletzki's PC, quite frankly. If it's as dour and unremarkable as Sym3, I can't see myself being interested. When there is so much excellent material by so many better composers as yet unrecorded, I have to question Naxos' choice of repertoire. I hope I'm wrong, but...

mbhaub

I'll skip the Kletzki -- how such an exciting conductor could write such dull, even ugly music is beyond me. But don't blame Naxos. I think their goal is record everything ever written, quality is not a priority. Remember that disk with the Furtwangler songs and the piano concerto?

eschiss1

Judging from Furtwangler's 2nd symphony as conducted by Barenboim, I'm inclined to give Henry Fogel's opinion, that Marco Polo chose exactly the wrong conductor for their Furtwangler series and bollixed it up, some weight. At least, I find the Teldec recording & performance memorable and fairly wonderful, I know that some big-name pianists were interested enough to tackle the symphonic piano concerto decades ago, and I found the one Marco Polo Furtwangler disc I owned (sym 3) considerably less convincing, though not horrible.
(All personal opinion...)

TerraEpon

Quote from: Marcus on Monday 08 February 2010, 12:36
Debussy's Prix de Rome compositions are available on a 2CD set (Glossa GCD922206) The disc contains:
L'enfant prodigue, Le gladiateur,L'invocation,La damoiselle eluie,Printemps - symphonic suite, salut printemps & printemps.

Oh man, I absolutly need this. I've been SOOO waiting for another recording of Le Enfant, andto also get Le Gladiateur, Le Printemps, and Invocation -- all of which I know of NO other recordings for, is something I've been needing. For both completionism and purly musical want reasons.

Marcus

You have a point Alan, the Symphony 3 was not a success, (I liked the lightweight Flute Concerto more), but because this is a Naxos release ($10.00), I am happy to buy and try. I am interested to see what he does with D minor !
Marcus

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Quote from: TerraEpon on Tuesday 09 February 2010, 06:46
Oh man, I absolutly need this. I've been SOOO waiting for another recording of Le Enfant, andto also get Le Gladiateur, Le Printemps, and Invocation -- all of which I know of NO other recordings for, is something I've been needing. For both completionism and purly musical want reasons.

...and in fact, I already ordered this (a rarity for me, usually I try to wait to see if I can get used for cheaper), along with the Raff symphony box finally.....