Alnaes symphonies on Sterling

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 28 October 2009, 13:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Syrelius

If the quality of the symphonies is comparable to Alnaes' PC, then this is indeed great news!  :)

Gareth Vaughan

Why, one is entitled to ask, is this release not advertised on Sterling's own website? It just will not do.

Alan Howe

I've just received my copy from jpc and am listening to the first movement of Symphony No.1 (1898). My first impressions are certainly very positive indeed: I suppose the basic starting-point is Tchaikovsky, but this is obviously later music and there is also a general Nordic 'cut' to the idiom (I can hear similarities to, say, Sinding, in the mix). Anyone who loves the Russian and Scandinavian repertoire of this period will certainly love this music - and I'm happy to report that the recording quality is full (if perhaps not ideally clear) and that the orchestral playing (Latvian National Symphony Orchestra) is well up to the job - it is apparently a full-sized orchestra with a complement of 101. Another must-buy from Sterling!

Mark Thomas

These are both broadly conceived, generously melodic and colourfully orchestrated works in the grand romantic tradition of the late nineteenth century, even though the second dates from 1923. They are both quite substantial works, but neither outstays its welcome and each gets a full bloodied and committed performance from the Latvian orchestra. Although I don't think that Alnaes has Noskowski's skill, I was certainly reminded of his symphonies in places and both works to me sound more Slavic that Scandinavian. In that sense they are a little bit anonymous, but that's not really a criticism. Overall, though, each piece is a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Thank you, Bo!

Syrelius

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 14 November 2009, 07:23
These are both broadly conceived, generously melodic and colourfully orchestrated works in the grand romantic tradition of the late nineteenth century, even though the second dates from 1923. They are both quite substantial works, but neither outstays its welcome and each gets a full bloodied and committed performance from the Latvian orchestra. Although I don't think that Alnaes has Noskowski's skill, I was certainly reminded of his symphonies in places and both works to me sound more Slavic that Scandinavian. In that sense they are a little bit anonymous, but that's not really a criticism. Overall, though, each piece is a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Thank you, Bo!
I totally agree with your analysis, Mark! However, I would say that Alnaes is at least as good as Noskowski when it comes to composing memorable melodies. These are true minor gems!

Syrelius

By the way, there is more to come from these forces, not in music by Alnaes, but by other Norwegian romantics. As I understand it, a CD of Ole Olsen's symphony will be released in 2010. A few works for string orchestra by this composer are already available on the small Swedish label Intim Musik:
http://www.intim-musik.se/CD/081.html

These are charming pieces, so let us hope that the symphony is of similar quality!

Alan Howe

I've taken the liberty of moving mbhaub's post to this existing thread:
Alan Howe

Here's a composer who until recently was a complete unknown to me, even though it turns out that Kirsten Flagstad had recorded the songs long ago. I had picked up the Hyperion vol 42 with the Alnaes and Sinding piano concertos, but can't really say I listened to the Alnaes, since Sinding was more interesting. But very recently I picked up the Alnaes Symphonies 1 & 2 on Sterling. I've listened over and over. The symphonies are just wonderful. Invigorating, exciting, life-afirming. Beautiful melodies, good orchestration. The second symphony in particular is a tremendous find. So now I've gone back and listened to the Piano concerto and it's just as exciting as the symphonies. I hope there's more Alnaes coming because I sure enjoy it. It's been a while since a newly rediscovered composer has impressed me so much. If you haven't tryed Alnaes yet, get that Sterling disk!

mbhaub

Thanks for moving this. I thought there was an Alnaes thread, but couldn't find it. Should have looked harder.

I want to add a request: if anyone knows of a source for scores for either symphony, could you please provide that information. I'm going to talk a local conductor into doing the 2nd somehow.

Gareth Vaughan

Why not drop Bo Hyttner a line at Stering Records. He's an extremely nice man, always eager to help.